Author Topic: so confused by what times to do solids  (Read 2692 times)

Offline shazzy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2006, 22:44:32 pm »
Hello,

I want to start weaning soon but am so confused by the times I am supposed to bring in solids.

Finlay feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm, 6.30pm and 11pm

The books say introduce solids at lunch - but he does not have a lunch so do I create one around 1pm or am I supposed to give food at the milk times and need to adjust them???  So confused and have no idea how to move forward.  How much milk should they still take in a day???

Help!!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: so confused by what times to do solids
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 22:52:09 pm »
I started my DD on lunch first then moved it to breakfast when i knew she was fine with it so DH could feed her. We then introduced a 2nd meal at 4.5months when she woke at night and wouldn't settle until we gave her a bottle (haven't had to do that since 6 weeks old) then introduced 3rd meal at 6months old when she was struggling between afternoon and night bottle. It is recommended to give solids at least 1hr after bottle. I am guessing your little one is around 4-6 months and they recommend around 26-32ozs of milk a  day. So you could do this:

7am - Bottle/BF
8am - Solids
11am - Bottle/BF
12pm - Lunch
3pm - Bottle
4/4.30pm - Dinner
6.30pm - Bottle/BF
11pm - Dreamfeed.

Good luck with the introduction of solids it is a fun time  ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 23:03:51 pm »
I'm with Natasha - but that could also depend on how old your lo is.

My ds didn't want anything to do with solids at first except in the afternoon, so we started with a lunch meal and then added dinner, and then breakfast. A little different than most but each lo is different. So if things don't work out exactly that's ok too. We do solids about an hour to 1.5 hours after bottle, then he's got room for it but it also doesn't interfere with the next bottle.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Anoucks Mum

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 12:53:20 pm »
I am asking myself the same questions as Shazzy, even though I want to wait another month and half before starting solids, and I am puzzled by all that !
Natasha, according to your schedule, your LO ends up eating every 2-3 hours, isn't there a risk he snacks at all solid & bottle times rather than have a proper meal (whether solid or liquid) ? Is the idea that over the next months he will gradually eat more solids at grown-up's meal times and less milk at bottle times ? And how do you fit the EASY routine in that schedule ?

I though you were supposed to carry on feeding at the same time (every 4 hours) but start meals with a little bit of solids before completing with BF or bottle, but I did not find anything in any of the BW books.

Offline shazzy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:59:48 am »
Hi Anoucks mum

I have heardso many different ways of doing it its dribing me crazy!!  How does EASY fit into this?  Can someone help?  Do you just fit naps after the food times?

Offline bayneddie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 11:40:22 am »
I pretty much follow the routine Natasha suggests (minus the dreamfeed) for my 6mo and it works well for us. I think EASY becomes something like EAEASY.
My dd takes about 24oz a day - she's never been that much of an eater though. She certainly seems to enjoy her solids much more than boring old milk!

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 22:54:51 pm »
Hi Maud,

When starting solids babies are on 4 hour easy and it is reccomended to feed solids 1 hr after giving a bottle. When solids are given 3 times a day and they eating quiet a bit then alot of people drop a bottle usually around 9 months when solids are given before bottle.The idea is to only give a little bit of solids just to get them use to it so it doesn't interfere with their milk. My DD dropped her 4th bottle at 5 months so is on 5.5hr bottle. So she eats:
7.30am Bottle
8.15am Breakfast
12pm Lunch
1pm Bottle
4pm - Might put a snack in here i think
5pm - Dinner
6.30pm Bottle

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Sadiebird

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 00:18:58 am »
How do you ever get out of the house on this schedule?!!   :)

Jessica
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 03:43:24 am »
I go out after her morning sleep feed her lunch while out and she often has a sleep in her pram if we are still out shopping. Otherwise i get home and put her to bed for her afternoon nap.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 17:55:54 pm »
Hi All

I am interested in this post as I am going to be starting solids in a month when dd turns 6 mths old.  I too had similar questions about fititng solids into EASY.

My dd, at most, will take about 28 ounces a day of formula. She is 5 months old and weighs 13 lbs.  She is on the smaller side and has nevery been a huge eater. 

So, lets say I introduce her first solid during lunch.  Before solids she would eat 6 ounces of formula.  How much formula would I then feed her for lunch if she has solids as well?

TIA!

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 03:47:42 am »
In the early stages of introducing solids keep formula intake the same as solids at the beginning is just for them to get use to. I am just finding now DD's milk intake is slowly decreasing.

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 13:37:18 pm »
So, I still feed her the same amount of formula when I introduce solids?  How long did it take for dd's milk intake to decrease?

Offline *Natasha*

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 23:03:00 pm »
I am finding at the moment her milk intake is decreasing. From 5 months she was having 3x7-8ozs however she has just recently only wants 6-6.5ozs at her lunch time bottle.
Yes keep milk intake the same when introducing solids. 

Natasha proud Mum to:

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2006, 00:02:30 am »
Thanks for your help.  I may be back soon asking more questions :P

Offline Kiwi Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • William John
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2006, 22:30:11 pm »
Hi Everyone,

This is a really interesting debate, thanks for all the input it's made great reading and very helpful. 

My DS is 6.5 months old, was 5.5weeks prem and low birthweight (4 pounds 9 oz).  Now doing really well despite reflux issues, which are under control thanks to ranitidine (zantac).  William started on solids approx. 6 weeks ago and it took about 4 weeks for him to really get the hang of eating properly.  We are still working out the transitions between BM and solids - and every day is slightly different.  What I wanted to say is that it is really difficult working all this out - the what, when and how, and all the in's and out's - especially when trying to stick to EASY.  What we have found is that the day sleeps are becoming shorter and further in between, although the night sleeps are much better  :)  William seems to want less milk during the daytime feeds, although he still wants his milk at 3.5 to 4 hourly intervals, and even though he is being offered it before his solids.  His early morning and DF's (breastfeeds) are still really good though. 

Last couple of days we have had 3 solids feeds, and 5 breast feeds, and it does feel like you are feeding all day.  Getting out and about is now a little more complicated, but I find you just need to be prepared and have everything on hand - solids and milk. 

Although we are trying to stick to EASY, with the sleep patterns changing, and the feeding patterns changing all at once, it really isn't that easy!  At first I was getting really anxious about it all, but knowing EASY and trying to keep in that framework does help.  I guess I've relaxed a little and am trying to understand that this is a transition phase, and although it's not exactly as clear as I would hope, we will get there.  I'm hoping that in another week or so we will have some new routines a little more established, and we can get right back on EASY again, or at least our closely approximated version of it!  Most importantly for us, we are following our little man's cues, as he gets used to the changes also.  Luckily he is a good communicator (very little patience, very loud voice!) and although I'm not always sure what he wants, SLOW is a great help in figuring it out.  I guess my message is just one of support for everyone - it's not a straightforward time, but be kind to yourselves - we are all being the best Mum's we can be.  Keep smiling, Tania.font=Arial][/font]