Author Topic: Refuses Finger Foods  (Read 1116 times)

Offline KB

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2006, 03:07:14 am »
Hoping someone can help or at least help me feel better about my lo not eating finger foods.  She is almost 11 mo, has ten teeth but just WON"T self feed.  I have tried soft pieces of her favourite fruit & veg, cooked pasta, lumps of oatmeal, a weetbix dipped in formula etc.

I can't give her teething rusks until I find some that are dairy free, anyone know of any in Australia?  She is allergic to dairy and egg.

She will happily mash the food in her hands but just won't even think about eating it or even putting it near her mouth.  If we try to help her she gets really upset and cranky and often won't even eat her meal from a spoon afterwards she gets so upset.

I am grateful that she is an excellent eater from a spoon, she has never turned down anything except banana and eats really well - as long as we feed her.  Have I hampered her by being afraid to make her food lumpier?  I am still pureeing everything  :-[

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: Refuses Finger Foods
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 03:32:26 am »
maybe you could try something i bit lumper, try using a fork to mash, i used a small potato masher, i had a look at the organic teething rusks we used they are diary, could you try making you own, i am going to with the next baby, dd wasn't rally keen on them anyway, where about in Australia are you?
with the finger food, could you leave a small bowl with i small peice of finger food in it when she is view? dd often eats this way for us, also have you tried finger food in the pram on walks? she will get it eventally

Offline katesmum38

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 13:04:01 pm »
Does she usually put things in her mouth to test them? i.e. toys, clothes - anything!!  If so then she will get the hang of putting food in there too!

I understand about the worrying about choking, I've been there, and LO has choked a couple of times.  All you need to do first is make sure that you are confident with how to deal with a choking baby.  Ask your HV if you don't already know.  Although worrying when it happens the 'mum gene' kicks in and you deal with it very matter of factly (doesn't mean you don't have a bit of a panic when it's over).  Anyway, once you are happy with this then introduce things like grated fruit, baby rice cakes, bread crusts etc.  If she is wary at feed times then introduce them when she is playing away from the normal routine.  Don't panic if she puts them in her mouth, pulls a face and throws them away, this is a common first reaction.  Just keep trying.  As for the purees, try to reduce how much you mash or blend them gradually over the next week.  Don't be concerned about giving her soft lumpy finger foods, her teeth and gums will be fine with it.

HTH

Tina and Kate

Kate was born 6th April, for an accountant to have a baby on the first day of the tax year is a bit of a joke!

Offline Carys' mom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 19:56:52 pm »
Hi KB,

We're having the same problem with our almost 13-mo dd. She just doesn't seem interested in feeding herself. Even Cheerios - I put them in her mouth for her one at a time  ::) . She'll hold a Cheerio with her fingers, but won't put it in her mouth. We still feed her purees as well - we've tried some lumpier ones with rice in them, but she spits them out.

So, I'm interested in the responses here too...

Thanks.
Melanie
Mom to Carys Elizabeth (2/15/05) and Joshua August (8/16/07)

Offline tigger2on

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 00:21:01 am »
 :-\
My 13  month is also not a "big" self-feeder. She will pick food up and eat it but not enough to sustain her. We too, are alos feeding her baby food - the lumpier ones and yogurt....
Dr. has also told me to put her on 2 6-0z bottles of Enfragrow a day to make sure she is getting what she needs vitamin/mineral-wise.