Author Topic: Couple of questions....  (Read 967 times)

Offline mumofjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 08, 2006, 19:20:16 pm »
My DS is now 7 months old and has been having problems with frequent night wakings. He generally gets himself off to sleep OK but only if I'm in the room touching him (I usually just put my hand on his leg.) The minute I take my hand away he starts crying. I'm wondering whether his frequent night wakings is because he wakes wondering where I am?

Also, I find it really difficult to decide how long to leave it before I go in. I also suspect that I'm not having much success because I'm going in at the wrong time, but he can cry for 10 mins plus, not loudly or in any great distress but crying all the same. The most I've left it is about 10 mins, after which I assume he's not going to settle himself and go in. Often at this point he steps his crying up a gear when I don't take him to my room for a feed. AT this point the crying gets REALLY

Offline mumofjames

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 19:21:55 pm »
oops. posted too early  :-[. As I was saying at this point the crying gets REALLY loud and though he doesn't take too long to settle it feels all wrong somehow.

Any help greatly received

Offline RyansMum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
Re: Couple of questions....
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 19:59:19 pm »
Hi, I like some info on this too.  My lo has been great at going to bed for naps and bedtime except for the last 2 nights where he has screamed his head off.  My husband has been unsuccessful in calming him and I have managed to do it.  Could it be sep anxiety?  He is 7 months next week.  He also woke up at 1.30am this morning and would not go back to sleep so I eventually brought him in with us at 2.30. He got off to sleep and woke around 7.

Wondered if this was a developmental issue?

Thanks

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 18:41:07 pm »
Just thought I should also mention that he is not napping for as long either, we have gone from approx 1hr naps to 30-40 minute naps though today it hasn't bothered him, just waiting to see what he does at bedtime tonight!

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 23:12:58 pm »
The most I've left it is about 10 mins, after which I assume he's not going to settle himself and go in. Often at this point he steps his crying up a gear when I don't take him to my room for a feed. AT this point the crying gets REALLY LOUD

i discovered that when luke did this it meant i should never have gone in - and he was letting me know that i had no business in there!   :P 

sounds like you are describing a mantra cry - kinda whiiny, but not really demanding your attention or service.  i learned that if i let him go to it, he learned to settle quicker.  but if he escalated before i went in, he was much more open to being settled down. 

HTH  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy