Author Topic: Laxative Foods  (Read 52391 times)

Offline KDawn

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Laxative Foods
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2006, 14:47:40 pm »
Hi, I was wondering for everyone that has const probs w/ lo, are they ff or bf?  Keira will be 6 ms tomorrow and is only bf, but started solids just past 4 mos.  She always went days between bm, but were like water, which is normal, I guess!!  Past few days she seemed to didnt poop, but today it was hard.  Never had this before.  I did switch her rice cereal to a diff barand.  Could that be the prob.  She has also had peas and sweet potatoes.  I thought if they were bf they shouldn't be const, or does that not apply once solids are introduced?  I was going to start changing over to formula slowly, maybe one bottle a day, but now this happened I don't want to make it worse for her.  Thanks

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2006, 20:08:10 pm »
Hi KeiraDawn.

Sweet Potatoes with both my DD and DS are a food to watch when starting solids. I use a mouli or put them through a sieve as they go too starchy if blended but even still I don't give them 2 days running and always follow up with a pear or apricot puree to keep things going. This is only my experience. Apricot puree normally does the trick but I have to put it with baby rice as the flavour can be a little strong.

HTH

J

p.s the other ones we had to watch were butternut squash and bananas. I know the books recommends giving new foods for a few days running but this was where we ran in to problems with certain foods. At the first sign of problems or it looking a bit hard I hit the pureed fruit. With my first one I remember poo's looking like a rabbits poo. Hopefully it won't reach that stage with number 2. Good luck. x
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline jumblebox

• Lisa (Rilen's mom)
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 15
  • water fun!
    • RilenBlog
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2006, 02:26:52 am »
Just this past week, we had to call our ped because our 3mo DS was having constipation problems. (We suspect he just needed more fluids, due to hot weather.) He hasn't started solids, but - after asking how much he takes in a bottle (6oz) - she told us to add 1 oz adult prune juice to his next bottle. She was very specific that it be adult prune juice. We saw results a few hours later.

BTW, I noticed an earlier post mentioned Karo syrup. Some of the info I've found on that says to avoid it, because it can lead to botulism.
- Lisa (37)
DP=darling boyfriend/partner=Shane (26)
LO/DS= Rilen Christopher (Spirited: 3/21/06)
St Louis, MO US

Offline Livbueno

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2006, 02:24:45 am »
Hi guys,

just wondering...have you tried pumpkin?
It works very well for me, I haven;t given it to my son yet, since I just started him on solids.
He's only had, pear, apple and rice cereal, which is also making him constipated, so today I'm going to try pumpkin.

Another one is papaya, I don't know if in america they usually recomend that for babys, but I'm from Brasil, living in Australia now, and
I've been talking to friends (docs') over there, and they seem to agree on papaya and pumpkin.

Hope your lo gets better
I'll let you know how we went today on pumpkin

Cheers
Liv

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2006, 11:31:14 am »
Does anyone know if switching from liquid concentrate formula to powder formuila (within the same brand) could cause constipation?  We tried switching to the powder but wonder if that is the culprit?

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2006, 20:25:31 pm »
Hi ,

I would not have thought so.  Have you introduced anything new into your lo's diet recnently that has caused constipation?  We found that rice cereal was the culprit on our side.

Let us know.

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2006, 21:17:05 pm »
I noticed when I was on holiday (and I had time to read the ingredients  ::)) that the ingredients of the power and the readymade cartons were different. So possibly it cold, if you are unsure and would suggest you called your formula help line.

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2006, 11:22:26 am »
I also did a comparison read and they are different.  We switched back and her tummy trouble are history!

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2006, 00:58:56 am »
Just wanted to add what helps for my DS - because he gets bunged up easily (rice cereal, bannanas etc.and form) we give him wheat germ in his cereal every am and in his lunches we add some flax seed - just a pinch.  This seems to keep him regular - when I feed something that may be consitpating i always feed something else that is like a lazative in hopes of counteracting the "bunger"  Also - I see a naturopath as my son seems to have always had gas and stomache pain since birth - he takes something called afa-gen (ble grren algae supplement) and he also takes a powder that helps restore the flora to the gut and therefore aids in digestion - esp for kids who may have damaged the gut lining from allergens etc., its acidopholus and bacto something or other - laymans terms - probiotics.  So far for us his has been very helpful - he also takes homeopathic drops.........

and one things that always works for us is BLUEBERRIES!!!!!

hope this may help someone

Sarah

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2006, 14:30:54 pm »
I am having the same problem with my daughter. I have just been told to squeeze an orange into babies water. or a bi of prune juice. i going to try.

Offline simran

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Wellington, NZ
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2006, 03:03:24 am »
Hi
My 6.5 mnth DD became constipated the moment I introduced solids, hard at times and pebbles at other times, over the last week or so I have been giving her stewed apricots and a ripe banana (must be very ripe & easy to mash) and I have begun to notice an ease in her constipation, less straining, much softer & in fact yesterday we had a 'Squishy' one.  It will take a few days for the constipating foods to leave their system so it will take you a few days of trying, I noticed a change after 4-5 days.  Also offer lots of extra water, helps a lot too.  My DD is also a reflux baby so we have been late starting solids, but I am not worried as she is gaining weight and I am also taking my time with introducing new foods until her system is ready for them.  Let us know how you get on.
Regards

Nush and Simran

Offline M2L

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Tee hee hee
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2006, 00:04:03 am »
DD was exclusively bf until six months.  we started solids then and it wasn't until a few days ago that she had a "hard" poop.  i took her off cereals, and her poops went back to normal.  i am convinced that my troubles were due to the iron in the cereal and the fact that she had been eating more cereal than usual.  only took one "cycle" to get back to normal.

Offline SallyDom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2006, 20:16:13 pm »
I've just bought my little boy some pear juice (Robinson's diluted I think) and can't remember if I've read on here that even just a spoonful of pear juice can help constipation, does anyone know if that little would help? He doesn't suffer all the time, just ever now and again but he isn't very good with his sippy cup yet (actually he won't drink from it at all) so I thought if a spoonful would help I could syringe it into his mouth like I do medicine? If he would need more than that I'll put it in his bottle but I keep reading to try and not let them drink juice out of a bottle
Sal
x
Dominic Luke 29/03/06
Isaac (Zac) James 14/11/07

Offline angelina and andrew's mum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • my two cuties.
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2006, 08:23:00 am »
what can you do for constipation if ur lo is only 11 1/2 wks. she had her milk changed and that done the trick-shes now on gaviscon infant sachets and its bunged her up again-doing the ater thing, tummy massage, bicycle legs. im upset for her coz i see the pain she goes through-if she goes everyday then shes happy but she hasn't gobe for 2!! any advice? :'(

Offline gemmah

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • CUTIE
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2006, 18:10:09 pm »
Do you give water throughout the day?  Is it hard or just not frequent?