Author Topic: 15w major change in night sleeping!!!  (Read 1227 times)

Offline aimeemarie

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 09, 2006, 13:24:20 pm »
I'm praying that this is totally common and you will tell me that it will go away soon.

My 15 w old dd has slept through the night (8pm-6am) for the last month 1/2, for the last week she has been getting either once or twice a night. (Last night was down at 8:30-up at 12:45-up at 4:45-up at 6:30.)

How old is your child? 15 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? Before this night waking totally threw of our schedule it was...
6:30-nurse, right back down
9:00-nurse
10:30-12:00-nap
12:00-nurse
1:30-3:00-nap
3:00-bottle @ daycare
5:30-nurse
7:00-bath, lotion, pj's
7:30-nurse
8:00-in bed

What’s nap routine? Swaddle in MB, lay in crib, turn on lullaby, usually fio/cio for 2 minutes, or none at all.
How long are naps? At the shortest an hour, usually 1.5 hrs, occasionally a 2hr.
What's bedtime routine? Time? Bath, lotion, pj's, swaddle, nurse, lay in bed, turn on lullaby, kiss goodnight.
Do you bottle or breastfed?? Breast
How much? or how long? 6x during day, 20 mins per session
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both
How many wakes per night? 1 or 2
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? sometimes playful, othertimes crying (I think the crying is TRUE hunger), probably up 30 mins
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Not mantra. She howls. Not really crying.
What have you tried to settle?? Last night I changed, reswaddled, talked quietly, thought we were good but the howling started again. Aren't not really comfortable settling because I feel that I should feed her when she wakes as slow weight gain has been a problem in the past.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? usually 1.5 hrs-sit in bouncy seat, play under gym, sit with mom or dad, swing, go on a short visit or to the store
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? is showing signs of teething, bottom eye teeth have been red for about a month!  :o
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months) No
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Swaddilng with the MB may very well be one.
Do they have a lovie? Lovie--blanket? No. Lovie-Paci? No.

I hope these questions/answers help. It would just be nice to at least hear that this happens and is common and will go away. From what I've read it really seems to be.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
Re: 15w major change in night sleeping!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 18:20:52 pm »
The first thing I noticed is that your activity time may be to long, 1.5 hour at 15 wks is lot. I'd recomend shortening that to no more then 1 hour, maybe even as little as 45 minutes, your LO is overtired.
 If your having problems with weight gain then feed her when she wakes.
 I recomend you check at the breastfeeding forum for info on single sided feeding.
Whats happening is normal but those may help.
Kimberly

Offline aimeemarie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 18:26:25 pm »
Umm I'm a bit confused. Single sided feeding for what reason? Dd has NEVER been a one side girl...and she isn't overtired...I'm sure of that. The weight gain isn't a concern anymore.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 19:29:46 pm »
the single sided feedings are due to the way breastmilk is made up, the formilk is basically just water, then you get hind milk which is the heavier nutrient filled milk that the baby needs to grow. From what Single sided feedings insure more hindmilk, and less formilk are getting into baby and helping them grow and keeps their tummy fuller. Ask at the breastfeeding formum for more detailed info on that. While in the hospital they had be me feed from both sides for 3 days, then on day three they had me switch to single sided for the reason listed above.
While you may not think your LO is overtired (and she may not be) at 15 weeks 1.5 hours is to long for A time. I'd suggest that you at least keep an eye on her :) We had the same with my DD, she's spirited and didn't show tired signs untill it was to late, when I shortend her A time she slept better and longer, she's been a much happier baby ever since.
I'm glade to hear that the weigfht gain isn't a problem anymore.
I had to give up bfing  because my DD wasn't thriving, among other problems, we even had to start feeding solids at 5 months because she just wasn't gaining weight :( I'm so glade to hear that she's better :) My LO finally reached 17lbs (she's 6.5 months old) we're so thrilled about it.
Kimberly

Offline aimeemarie

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 21:24:05 pm »
We had the same with my DD, she's spirited and didn't show tired signs untill it was to late, when I shortend her A time she slept better and longer, she's been a much happier baby ever since.

slept better and longer for naps, or at night??? I have been doing BW since 5 weeks old so I definately watch her cues during A time and put her down as soon as I hear even a grump, so I don't think that's our problem.

Offline Kimberly®

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 22:28:19 pm »
both :) She now sleeps 2 1.5 hour naps, and 12-13 hours at night. She started sleeping 7-7 at 11 or 12 weeks and now sleeps 11-8, allthough she's also sleeping a lot during the day currently as she's sick, She takes after mommy and sleeps more when sick. Her usualy routine is a 1.5 hour nap in the am and one in the PM and usually a 30-45min cat nap around 4:30.
Thats not to say that yours will do the same, but when I did the changes she started sleeping better both days and nights. Sleep begets sleep. You sound like your doing a good job, and I would never say you don't know your child, I can tell you really pay attention :) However, I suggest you get her down about 5-10 minutes before she usually grumps, by the time they grump they're entering the overtired stage, even 5-10 minutes can make a huge difference.
Kimberly

Offline gemancuso

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 18:28:41 pm »
My baby was doing the same thing as Aimeemarie's baby.  She is now 16 wks. old.  Up until 3 weeks ago, she went to bed by 6:30, woke once anywhere between 2 and 4, and then slept until 6-6:30.  She goes down fine by herself at night.  I start her routine about 5:30 - it's quiet play in crib, then bath, then massage with lotion and dress into PJs, then feeding.  I take her off the breast before she's asleep and try to get a lullaby in before putting her into the crib.

Starting 3 weeks ago, she now wakes about 3 times a night - usually once in the evening around 10-11.  Then another time around 1, then 4.  She has also started waking at 5:30.  I think this is another night wakening, not her wake-up for the day, but since it's so light, she's awake.  We're going to get shades to try to stop this.  When she wakes, I go in and feed her and try to get her off the breast before she falls asleep.  She is fine if I put her back down awake - she just needs to eat to transition back to sleep.  My question is about the gentle removal plan.  I haven't read Tracey's new book yet - tried to buy it this week but the store was sold out.  For breastfeeding, does this involve slowly reducing the # of min. she eats at each wakening?  I realize at 4 mos, she may still need to eat, I just want to get her back to the once/night wakening since I know she can do it.

For naps, she is a very difficult napper.  I try so hard to read her signs, but it's really hard to soothe her to sleep when I find she's sleepy.  I try to have no longer than 2 hrs. awake time (from wake-up of last nap to start of next).  She goes down well by being rocked in her carseat, so I've been letting her do that the last few days so she gets daytime sleep while I work on the night-time sleep.

Any advice about gentle removal would be really appreciated.  Thanks!

Oh, and for