Author Topic: Dream Feeding - just started and now think it's a problem - questions  (Read 1120 times)

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I have a question about dream feeding. I've been following EASY since my son was born (he will be 4 mos old in a week). I have never done a DF. I just started it last week as he still wasn't sleeping thru the night (would wake between 1-3 and then again about 5:30) and figured I'd try it. The first night I gave it at 10:30 (he has his last feed about 7ish) and he woke at his usual 1-3. Second night he woke at 4 and third at 5. Now the 4th night is my nightmare...he woke at 10:30 (I think now expecting his DF which bothered me as he always slept soundly) and then after I gave it and he went back to bed he was up every 2-3 hours all night. I held off feeding him until 4AM but the screaming and waking was horrible, and now his naps are off too (all day yesterday and off today so far but trying to get them back on...)

My question - should I drop the DF? I really don't like how he woke for it (unless it was coincidence but I don't think so) as he would at least sleep from 8PM-1,2,3 which was better than what I went thru last night. He also was a great napper. Second, if I do drop it can I go cold turkey since I've only given him 4 or do I need to wean him off it? Is it too late to just stop it and have him "forget" and sleep thru? I am a bit frustrated I even tried it to be honest. I'd rather get up once and then again at 5:30 than what I went thru last night. He also HAS slept thru the night before without the DF (why I never did it) but it comes and goes so I know he's capable. He's 15lbs and drinks 6 oz of formula 5-6x a day (including his DF). I am trying to switch him to 4 hour EASY but it's not going so well- he is hungry 3 hours on the dot!

thanks in advance for help!
Lauren

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Dream Feeding - just started and now think it's a problem - questions
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 18:38:56 pm »
Can you go in slightly earlier before he wakes at 1030?

If you find after about a week of trying, that it's just not working I would then concentrate on the clusterfeeding instead.  The dreamfeed sometimes takes a few days to a week to get established, I'd recommend that if its not working, you drop it for a week or 2, and then try it again.

It may be he is going through a growth spurt (4 months) and in that case you need to get more in him during the day.

Transition to 4hrs easy can be found here, https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=41061.0 and I will also post the page from the book for you.

HTH
Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 00:39:01 am »
Hi,
thank you so much for your help. I wrote down the schedule (although I have the books so bet it's in there). I was trying to push him too fast/too soon into the 4 hour EASY so am starting the 15 min increments now. My problem is I run into him getting up too late sometimes cause he wakes at 4 or 5 am and then I can't get the bedtime earlier (so he goes to bed about 8:30ish).

I am going to not do the DF - or at least try as I feel it's made his sleep more erratic (the wakings). I think if i went in earlier he'd start waking then? I don't know but he doesn't stay asleep. I have not cluster fed him cause it says in book not to at his age but I am going to try that tonight and no DF.

What I can't figure out is he's slept thru the night no 2 occasions (each 2 weeks at at time) in the past - once at 6 weeks and once at 2 mos and I never did a DF, he'd go to bed about 9 or 10 then though, so not sure if that was it. Also he slept thru the night when we got his Miracle Blanket for about a week and then stopped (guess he got used to it).

Thanks again- he's back on his schedule pretty much today (napping well) so am praying I don't have another night like last. This 4 mos of no sleep is really getting to me and I am older (almost 40!) so don't have the energy!

Lauren

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 08:51:07 am »
It could be a growth spurt he is going through at the moment  :-\
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 07:06:20 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x