Author Topic: Night waking for 4 1/2 month old  (Read 1381 times)

Offline wonderfeather

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Night waking for 4 1/2 month old
« on: March 09, 2006, 17:50:38 pm »
We are following the 4 hr E.A.S.Y.  He takes 2 good naps and a short catnap in the afternoon.  Also, he takes 8 oz. at each feed  He goes to sleep at 6:30 and wakes up between 11-12 for a feed of which he takes around 4 oz. (I'm tring to slowly dilute this)  The problem is he wakes up again between 2 and 3 and I do PU/PD till he is able to go back to sleep.  Last night he woke at 11:20 for 4oz. then woke again at 2:20, I did PU/PD for about 30-40 minutes till he fell asleep,  I woke him this morning (he was happy) at 6 to start his day and to keep some type of routine.  I'm wondering how long this is going to happen (the 2-3am wake up)?  what was strange is the night before he didn't take a catnap and was very tired so he didn't take his last feed and went to bed at 6---he only woke at 12 for a feed and not again till morning at regular time.  I'm confused.  I thought the 2-3am wake up was habitual (it usually is the same time each night) until this happened and now I don't know????
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 18:51:19 pm by wonderfeather »

Offline molynekl

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Night waking for 4 1/2 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 21:12:09 pm »
I'm also new to this, but I had similar waking pattern with my 4 1/2 month old until we started the dreamfeed just 3 nights ago.  Now, instead of waking 3 times at night, he's down to one wake-up--still not ideal, but MUCH better. 
Kristen, mom to

Offline wonderfeather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 15:14:13 pm »
last night he woke at 11 and he took 4 oz.  He woke again around 2:10, I waited a few minutes before going in to see if he'd settle but eventually he began to cry so I went in and realized he was very wet.  I changed him and he was still crying so I did the PU/PD a few times (maybe 8 minutes) until he finally settled the last time I laid him down.  He woke for the day around 6AM.  It seems like the length of PU/PD is getting shorter each day (I hope).  Also, I think because of the feed at 11 he wakes sometimes because he's very wet.  Do you have that problem too?  Maybe I should get overnight diapers?  I haven't used the dreamfeed only because he usually wakes around that time to eat and goes straight back to sleep.  but eventually I'd like to fade it out either by diluting the formula or taking an ounce away every few days.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 16:27:18 pm »
it is possible that the feed at 11 is waking him due to wetness, I know it did with my DD when we dropped it she stopped waking. You could try it an hope that he also stops waking. Although if he wakes later for a feed thats ok :) at his age its not unsual to have one noght feed still.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline wonderfeather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 18:09:57 pm »
yes, I think that he's waking partially due to wetness and partially due to me feeding him each time.  I don't think either waking is because of real hunger...2 reasons: 1. he wakes about the same time each night 2. He has 32 oz. a day (4 8oz. bottles)  How did you guys drop the feed in the middle of the night?

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 18:53:05 pm »
we were lucky and she mostly dropped it herself.
We started with the dreamfeed and it stopped then we dropped the dreamfeed due to wakeing again and after a few days of waking and being shush/patted back to sleep she slept through again.
Kimberly

Offline wonderfeather

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 12:25:34 pm »
Hmmm...last night he went to bed around 6:45 and slept all the way through till 2:30 (I used 2 diapers, maybe that helped).  I did PU/PD and sh/pt for about 30 min then eventually he went back to sleep till 6:45AM.  I read that Tracy says this is the hardest waking to get rid of, because he is used to eating at this time and now he keeps waking even though he doesn't need fed, she says to do the wake to sleep an hour earlier each night for 4 or 5 nights till you push it back to either the dreamfeed or bedtime...has anyone tried this?  I'm thinking about it because he's been waking at this time for more than a week now.