Author Topic: Transition to big girl bed....  (Read 1019 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: March 13, 2006, 13:20:12 pm »
Well last night we put our 22 month old into her new twin bed.  I left the room at 7:11 and I'd say by 7:30 she was quiet.  But at 8:00 I turned on our video monitor and we see her start to move.  She did fall off the bed, but DH went and put her back in and she didn't say a word, just went to sleep.  I had a hard time sleeping though and I did turn on the monitor a few times and saw her moving around.  She was definitely restless but she didn't cry or get out once.  Great sign I hope.  She was up at 4:30 this morning and hasn't slept since but from 4:30 to 7 a.m. when I finally got her, she didn't cry for me or anything ... so I think she likes her bed but isn't used to it yet.  I put Dora the Explorer sheets on her bed so that maybe she'd like it more.....don't know if that helped.

Any words of wisdom to get her to sleep later and better in there or does that come with time????  I mean realistically she only actually slept 8 or 9 hours last night.....

Offline Cecilia~Olivia's mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Transition to big girl bed....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 19:48:32 pm »
Sorry I can't help you out, i'm just reading suggestions to your post & the one about the 'cuddles' routine.  I will be transitioning dd soon, hopefully at 22mos as well...(just hope she cuts those eye teeth before the big girl bed, i'm sure she'll be in & out a 100 times ::))

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 11:16:04 am »
So far it definitely is not going great.  She is really losing out on a lot of sleep.  It takes her forever to settle down and go to sleep, for naps (when she does nap) and bedtime as well.  Then I hear her a few times throughout the night and then she's waking early on top of it.  She is exhausted.  We are sticking with it, as I've heard it can take months for them to transition and get the sleep they need.  So I figure I'd rather go through this now than when my son is born.  Also, she never was a great sleeper in her crib...better than now but it's not like she slept great so it's less temptation to put her back in.  I just wish I knew when this would get easier on both her and I!!!!!!!!

Lan

Re: Transition to big girl bed....
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 23:21:46 pm »
Could you push the cot up against the bed? That way when she wakes at night she might see the familar bars of the cot and it's won't be so different for her. WE are yet to make the transition so I'll be watching to see how she goes! I have my son in a sleeping bag so I'm hoping that will cut down on the getting out of he bed somewhat.