Author Topic: advice needed  (Read 1378 times)

Offline mrswalsh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • First time mum to Billy
advice needed
« on: March 09, 2006, 21:18:06 pm »
My ds is 14 weeks old and on 4 hour easy.  His bottles are now at 8oz each including the dreamfeed and he is draining every bottle!  He hasn't started waking through the night yet but I am sure it won't be too long before he is no longer content on 8oz and starts waking.  Is it safe to up to 9oz?  I really think he is far too young to even think about solids. A health visitor has suggested the hungrier baby milk but to use something like Aptimil as this contains prebiotics in the stage 2 but SMA doesn't.  My ds is currently on SMA gold and I am loathe to switch brands of formula and upset him further when in a month or two he could start on baby rice in which case it would be all change again!!

Any advice would be really helpful. ??? ???

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:30:14 am »
hiya
I started DS on Aptimel - 1, we had tp go to Aptimel Extra- 2 (for hungry babies) within weeks, he is still on it now. If he is draining his bottles, it sounds like he needs more in the bottle. DS takes 11oz before bed, split between 2 bottles. Is he looking for a feed before the 4hrs? I think your right, it won't be long before he wakes in the night for more.

Just looked at their site, they have SMA white for hungry babies. http://www.smanutrition.co.uk/products/white.htm

What is it?
SMA White is an infant milk for hungrier babies. SMA White is a casein (curd) based formula. This means it contains a protein which seems to take longer to digest, and so is useful for babies not totally satisfied with a whey-based infant milk.

When can I use it?
SMA White can be used at any age from birth onwards, when moving from breast feeding to bottle feeding or to complement breast feeding.

Where can I get it?
SMA White can be purchased from supermarkets, high street chemists and often from your local corner shop.
What formats are available?
SMA White is available in cans of powder, (450g and 900g), quick and easy to prepare 8oz sachets with no need to scoop and ready to use cartons (250ml and 1 litre) of liquid feed, ideal when you are out and about with your baby.

HTH
Lauren
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 08:43:04 am by Calums_Mum »
Lauren x

Offline mrswalsh

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
  • First time mum to Billy
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 10:53:04 am »
thanks for the advice but what about prebiotics.  As I said SMA 2 don't contain prebiotics but Aptimil/Cow and Gate all do.  Do I need to have prebiotics in the formula.  if so, will it not affect my DS changing brands?

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 13:12:30 pm »
To be honest I am not sure about the prebiotics thing (sorry I miss read the quesion). If you are hesitant about try a new formula I would discuss it with your doctor or even call the SMA care line & aptimel care lines to find out the differences.
Lauren x