Author Topic: Finger food fears!  (Read 1000 times)

Offline milliesmaw

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Finger food fears!
« on: March 09, 2006, 23:00:28 pm »
I remember having this fear with dd and now I'm at the same stage with ds and I still have it! Please can you advise on finger foods to get started on. I'm convinced he's going to choke and it means I hold back on giving him ff. Although he's absolutely fine with lumpy food. I was so tentative with dd and bread and after she'd been at nursery for a couple of months and I was giving her tiny little pieces and watching her every bite it turned out she'd been happily eating sandwiches for weeks. Can you help me fight the fear - I'd love to give ds some bread!!
Jo

Mum to Millie
4th November 2003
and Benjamin
31 July 2005

Offline Nate'sMommy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Finger food fears!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 23:21:18 pm »
Your fear is totally understandable.  I have been giving my LO finger foods since about 7 months.  I started with puffed Gerber stuff (wagon wheels, puffed cereal) because they get so mushy there really is not fear of choking.  Very shortly after though, we started on diced things like banana, avocado, cooked carrots, peas, green beans.  Now at 9 months he eats everything - oh, and did I mention he has no teeth!  The key for us is to dice it into nice, small bits (cheerio size) and don't give it to him all at once (he likes to shovel it in by the fistful).  For lunch today I diced up grilled cheese sandwich and peaches - I never would have done that for DS1 at 9 months, but this one loves the variety he gets!

IMO, most choking/gagging comes when the pieces are just too big. 
Kelli ~ Nate AND Ian's mommy