Author Topic: Wee man gets bored soooo quickly  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
« on: March 10, 2006, 14:50:21 pm »
Hello, so often I hear the word overstimulation in here and I think apart from the days we had to travel he really doesn't experience it...

Scott (6 Months) gets bored by my company really quickly and will often only cheer up when someone else enters the room (like daddy). After a while he is bored by daddy too and stares at the door waiting for the next entertainer to enter the room (we are at the moment at my father-in-laws) house, so there are loads of people.

He seems to only be really happy when many people play with him. He is awake most of the day and just wants entertained. Toys entertain him for one or two minutes, mummy maybe for half an hour or so, same with daddy...

Is that normal?

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
Re: Wee man gets bored soooo quickly
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 16:20:52 pm »
its hard to say WHAT is normal for anyone which is a REALLY wishy washy answer!   :-[ sorry  :-[

Ethan went through a phase when we were visiting relatives in Canada (from the UK) where everyone was playing with him and admiring him and like your wee man, he just assumed that the world existed to ensure he was entertained!

As he got more able to do things, he relied on us less for entertainment.  (not to say we don't have our days where he just wants us to entertain!  ::) )  we spent a lot of time showing ethan his toys and what he could do with them.  certain faves emerged (often the toys we least expected, like a wooden spoon at one point because he could bang on the floor!) and he could play with them for longer... he liked to make noise so we found noisy toys (even if it was a tub full of rice that he could shake), then he liked to put things in his mouth so we tried teething rings and eventuallly relented and provided raisins (apparently swallowing them was part of the fun!)  At nursery they discovered that ethan likes to move things and so they would secure him into an old silvercross pram that he could bounce.  Once he figured out what toys could do, he could play for longer.

hth!

Offline mrsrobbo

• Showing Appreciation 20
  • Bev, mum to Bradley, Paige and 9 angels x
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 23:01:40 pm »
Bradley is 7 months at the end of this month and he is the same. he gets bored so fast, its hard when you are at home alone with them and you have to keep enetertainment going all the time. As he is getting older and can do more he is playing for longer periods on his own. Are there any mum and baby groups you could go to? they keep bradley amused, also if you know anyone with a baby of a similar age invite them over and let the kids play. my friend has a 1 year old and bradley loves her, she is entertainment, and they sit and babble to each other for ages, and this way you get to sit down and relax for a while

Offline Shdef

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 10:04:40 am »
Thanks for the replies :)

I could try a group of some kind to keep him happy and entertained...
The problem is that I actually can't entertain him after a while cause mummy is boring after a certain amount of time, whatever she does...

I used to carry him around in the baby bjoern, but he is too heavy for that now...

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 14:35:35 pm »
i know how it feels to be boring old mommy!  esp around naptimes, mealtimes etc, bedtime Ethan just doesn't find me as diverting and entertaining!  BUT lately, although he LOVES it when daddy arrives home and grins at him etc guess where he wants to be if daddy tries to pick him up? with boring old mom!  :)

Offline Shdef

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 08:08:38 am »
We are now for a long visit with granny and his auntie and uncle who love him all so much and entertain him all the time. He is like a different baby... laughing and giggling all day, napping exceptionally well and so on... Maybe we should stay longer :)