Author Topic: What's the point of the dream feed?  (Read 2205 times)

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
What's the point of the dream feed?
« on: March 10, 2006, 19:05:48 pm »
I have been dreamfeeding my ds, but don't really understand the point.  He is still waking up 3 hours later....so my question, is what is the real point of the dream feed? Should he be sleeping longer after the df?
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
Re: What's the point of the dream feed?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 18:48:04 pm »
mrsmynub - my lo was born one day after yours, so they are now 9 weeks. I am having the exact same issue. She eats fully at 7, we df at 11-ish, when she also takes a full bottle, and then she wakes 3 hrs later around 2-2:30. The intake for our lo at the middle of the night varies tremendously for whatever reason, anywhere from 2-4 oz.  Only once did she sleep from 11 until 5:30.  My take on it is that it's still too early for them at this age to sleep through, although I have friends whose lo's are sleeping through at this age too, so who knows. It does seem to be real hunger that's waking my lo, so for now I guess I'll have to stick it out with the night feedings.  Hopefully by 3-4 months, she'll be able to go longer stretches. I'd love to hear how you make out since they're so close in age.

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 18:57:00 pm »
Stacy here is my info: (I had much trouble with the website)

Well, I've had some tough days, and I also know that my ds (who is 9 1/2 weeks old) is going through a growth spurt.  Last night, he ate 8 ounces of formula in one hour and today, he has been eating 4 ounce bottles every 2 hours.

Normal schedule:

7AM E
7:20 A
8AM s
9AM E
9:20 A
10AM S
11:30 E
12PM A
12:30 S
1:30 E
2PM A
2:30 S
4:30 E
5PM A
5:30 S
7:30 E
8PM S
11:00 Dream Feed
2AM E
4AM E
5:30 AM E

THis varies from day to day - sometimes he doesn't nao at all in the afternoon, sometimes he sleeps more, but his feed times are pretty right on. 

Thanks for your help,
Dana

To The Vern - I would be interested to see how your lo does as well - nice to have someone at the same stage.....I don't know about your lo, but mine is eating like there is no tomorrow.....
Dana - mom to Dante James, born January 4, 2006 and Gianni Joseph born September 28, 2007!!!

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 21:17:49 pm »
He was 7lb 12oz at birth and is now over 12lbs.  He has only started eating this much in the last 4 days, and yes, it's hunger.  He wasn't napping at all unti lI realized that he wasn't getting enough to eat.  It fluctuates every day.  Like today:

7AM E
7:20 A
8:30 S
9:30 E
9:45 A
11:30 E
12PM S
and it is now 1:15PM and he is still sleeping.

Depending on when he eats the large amounts, then he isn't so hungry later on.  Like this morning, he took 2 ounces at all the feedings this morning, but he had eaten (3) 4 ounce bottles during the night.  See how confusing it can be?

Not sure how to stretch him out....

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 22:57:41 pm »
Stacy,

CAn you tell me why the schedule you offered is considered a 2.75 EASY routine? I am confused.

Thanks,
Dana

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 13:29:42 pm »
Dana, I think Stacy is allowing 15 mins for nap wind down, this comes from your A time.

HTH's
Lauren x

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 18:32:29 pm »
So, the 2.75 hours is from time of wake until next time of wake?

THis morning, ds woke at 8:15, then had A until 9:15, wound down, fell asleep at 9:35 and woke at 10:25.  Realistically, I should make him wait to eat until 11:00AM according to this correct?  Sorry, but I am still trying to figure all of this out.

Offline The Vern

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Linnea Beatrice Christina - January 5, 2006
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 17:44:10 pm »
Hey,
I was thinking if it was just in the past few days that your lo started eating so much, perhaps it's a growth spurt? My lo is right now on a 3-4 hr easy, though sometimes the easy turns into an aesy, as she is often awake before eating and then goes to sleep.  She's still waking at 2:30 and 5:30ish am in spite of the df at 11.

Offline mrsmynub

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • My sweet boys
    • Dentino Family Website
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 19:29:27 pm »
I hope it's a growth spurt - do they last long?  Who knows, but he is still eating a lot.  Wow!  Good for your lo to be on a 3-4 hour EASY.  I thikn that when I look at it, my lo has been on a 2-2:15 EASY and I am now trying to stretch it out.  And, my lo, too, sometimes does the AESY...glad to know he's not the only one.