Author Topic: picky 14 mth only finger foods  (Read 1940 times)

Offline evans and bethans mum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
picky 14 mth only finger foods
« on: March 12, 2006, 15:21:42 pm »
 :-\Hi can anyone help me,
my son nearly 15 mths has refused any food off a spoon and will only have food he can pick up. He does however eat his yoghuts from a spoon.
I have been told this is a phase with food but i am really running out of ideas i am frustrated more than anything because i cant think of what to give him.
he will eat chicken
               toast
               potatoe waffles
               fish fingers
               pasta, he used to be a great little eater he used to eat fruit now wont touch it.

Offline galaxie81

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
Re: picky 14 mth only finger foods
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:43:59 pm »
-Vegetables cut into stripes
-Cheese stripes
-Chunky fruits
-Mini fruit muffins
-Mini lentil patties
-Mini Meat Patties/Meatballs

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Re: picky 14 mth only finger foods
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 14:56:32 pm »
evans mum-
I would keep offering the fruit.  If it's too slippery to pick up try coating it with a cereal (like the baby food rice, oatmeal or mixed).
Try some raw  (grated fine) carrot
soft peices cooked diced veggies (broccoli can look like trees... make it a little fun.  Add some melted cheese perhaps)  We used to make O sandwiches and out a peice of broccoli or cauliflower in between 2 Cheerios.  It was amazing how fast Paige ate them off her plate.
peices of scrambled egg
cheese
apple with peanut butter (thin layer)

I do have some more recipes, if you would like.  They are from the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron.

Hope this helps.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 18:38:25 pm »
Welcome to toddlerhood!

Try offering things he's had before but won't eat now in a different form.  Serve fruits and veggies in strips instead of cubes if he has enough teeth to bite pieces off.  Dd started balking about eating some fresh fruit, but she will eat canned peaches and pears.  If he won't eat oatmeal (and oatmeal made thick can be a finger food), try oatmeal breakfast bars (this is on my list of foods to try with dd).

Also, if you're into cooking at all, try making fruit or vegetable breads.  Dd loves banana bread.  In fact, she had banana bread and cream cheese for lunch.  I've heard pumpkin muffins go over well too (also on my list to try).

I also buy mixed frozen veggies, so when I make veggies for dinner she has several to choose from.  Hopefully, she'll eat one of them.

In general, though, I feed dd kid-friendly age-appropriate stuff for breakfast (cereal, pancakes, waffles, toast, fruit, etc) and lunch (grilled cheese, quesadillas, lunchmeat and cheese, thick soup with the broth strained off, random leftovers).  Dh and I make it a point to sit down together as a family for dinner, and she gets whatever we're having.  It's always stuff she can have, but sometimes she eats, and sometimes she doesn't.  I try not to sweat it.  I figure if she's hungry, she'll eat, and I want her to get used to eating what we eat.
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)