Author Topic: Thanks for the great advise....  (Read 1176 times)

Offline RustysDad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Purely Passion- Inspirations of Cancer
Thanks for the great advise....
« on: March 12, 2006, 16:23:17 pm »
Hey Everyone,

The past couple of weeks have been difficult with my 15 month old waking 3 to 4 times a night! And reading many of the posts here, I believe I may found some helpful tips in addressing the situation! Thank you.

We may be putting him to bed to late (start bath time at 7:30 and is asleep by 8pm). Lately has been waking up around 10:30/11PM, 1-2am, and again 3-4am. Some nights it's every two hours without fail.  And he is usually up for the day between 5-6am. And where I am the one who gets up with him (on most cases) and going through chemo... this can be very tiring.

He has been taking two naps a day... first one between 8/9 depending on when he gets up and sleeps for about an hour. Second nap time is usually after lunch around 1 and sleeps for 1 to two hours.

With the 1-2am waking he usually needs some food... we are using advanced form of soy formula. I am going to start watering that down to be nothing but water.

Usually upon his waking he starts to cry (although goes to bed for naps and at bed time fine without much fuss.), but at night I have been getting right up when I here him (crying). We live in a apartment with people upstairs and downstairs and I am always thinking of them. He also has a habit of throwing up when crying to long/hard (I can usually tell when this will happen). We decided to let him cry a little...but nothing to promising yet.

After reading some posts I have to wonder if he is having separation anxiety... I am a stay home Dad... who is always there (accept chemo days)... and as I said... usually the one that gets up with him. He isn't the happiest of kids when I leave these days. I am thinking we should start having his mom get up with him more often, not sure how to address that though.

His eating habits have been doing pretty good... eating lots of foods (at least I think so). Sometime ago I recorded his food and found in him the right calorie count.... perhaps I should do this again. Plus he is at good weight.

He was doing okay for awhile (only waking once at 1am-2am), but then started teething again (2 at once... that I can see) and started up on the every two hour thing... now it seems to be a "habit". The funny thing is when stayed over his grandparents (both sets) he only wakes once.

Anyhow... I have some stuff to think about now and just wanted to thank everyone posting here and the board owners for the great information!

~ Russ
Tired but blessed!

Jo-FrasersMum

Re: Thanks for the great advise....
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 00:13:04 am »
Hi Russ

Well, you are having a pretty rough time of it!  Anyway it seems that you have done a fair bit of "self diagnosis" here  ;) so good luck with it and please let us know how you get on

Cheers
Jo

Offline RustysDad

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • Purely Passion- Inspirations of Cancer
Re: Thanks for the great advise....
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 11:31:13 am »
I would imagine one night is to early to tell... but we put the little guy down at 7:30 (which may be still to late) and had better night. He woke up once at his usul 1am time. I tired to settle him without the bottle... but finally gave in. It was watered down though. He also awoke for the day his typical time of alittle after 5:30.

We will put him down again tonight at the new bed time. As to whether or not we should make it earlier... we will have to wait and see. Slowly make the changes until things are the way they should be... if that is possible. :)

~ Russ