Author Topic: HELP!!! My baby won't eat  (Read 1689 times)

Offline rileyand wyatt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • having so much fun!!!!
« on: March 12, 2006, 19:11:58 pm »
Hope someone can help.. Riley is just shy of 3 months and will only take 20oz in a 24 hour period.. she is never hungry when i go to feed her which is every 3 to 31/2 hours. she eats better at 4 hours but we can support the EASy at 4 hours she just get s so tired so quick.. i am so confused by what to do.. i have tried heavy flow nipples didn't work.. I am not sure what i can do to get more in her during the day. a good feed is 4 oz which she does a few times a day but mostly it is 3 oz .. Ithink she should be eating much more.. we do a df at 10 not luck takes an oz and 1/2 but we still do it. she wakes at around 3:30am and takes a full bottle 4 oz.. if we give her more which she would take her morning feed she takes nothing.. I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!can anyone help.

she is on a 3 1/2 EASY but i think i will try the 4 hour but  not sure how to do that since she gets tired so quick.. she weighs about 11 1/2 lbs and is over all a very happy baby.. I know some babies just aren't eater but i am concerned.. should i call my pedi and ask him??I though i would check with you girls first.. I would love to drop the night feed but she really needs the 4 oz or she would only get about 16 during awake time..

can you telli am confused.

Dana

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: HELP!!! My baby won't eat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 19:27:59 pm »
Dana
Have you tried 4hrs between feeds? If so, did she eat better/more? All Lo's are different, my DS changed to 4hr EASY when he was 3 months, he did the same; playing with feeds at the 3 hour mark, did this for a week - I began to dread feeding time. After newyear I decided to follow his lead for feeds, he wanted fed every 4 hours, although this meant I dropped a feed (I don't do a d/feed) so it mean 4 bottles instead of 5 during the daytime. He wasn't ready for the extra A time but we got there.

If I had kept him on a 3 hr EASY, we still would have been fighting yet!! Remember EASY is not always EASY, we sometimes do ESAY but more often then not EASA all day. I think as long as you don't start a situation where she eats then sleeps, I would go with your instincts I see if it works better. EASY will come back, I remember this time played havoc with our routine, but we got it back in the end. 3 - 4 months is a time for HUGE changes.
Lauren x

Offline rileyand wyatt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • having so much fun!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 21:22:44 pm »
she eats a little better but still fights me on 4 hour feeds.. Is it okay that sheis only eating 4oz on a fast flow nipple. i know they are all different but i would think she would be eatsing at least 6oz atthis point. i swear ecery oz is a fight.

can you post what your schedule was kinda like with no dreem feed. i also have that problem i feed her at 7  and she will only take 1 or 2 oz at 10 or 11, i don't think it is helping and we are exhausted since she wakes at 3:30 anyway..
thanks for the advice..

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 22:12:02 pm »
I had this "problem" with my DD.  There was a period between 3-4MO when she would only eat 12-16oz. per day.  We tried a different formula and her intake went up.  Not sure why, whether it was developmental or the formula was the culprit, but I was glad when she was eating more.  Talk to your pediatrician, but ours wasn't concerned since Katie was gaining weight - even at that small of an intake. 

Are you having any poo issues?  Katie was terribly constipated and wouldn't eat cuz things were backed up.  Once we got that under control, she started eating more oz and more often.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline rileyand wyatt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • having so much fun!!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 22:42:26 pm »
okay sohere is alittle more info.. riley is on soy since she was so gassy at 1 month when i stopped bf. she has ben on soy since which makes poops harder then normal but she poops at last once a day. so i don'tthink she is constipated..they are thick but not hard.. the ped told me at my 2 month that between 3 and 4 months to go back to the normal formula i was using.. Do you think i should try that and see if that helps with the eating. I never even thought of the formula..i am just afraid that it will affect her gassieness, which might make matter worse..if i do change formula should i just do it cold turkey or do imix them for a few days  and slowly change her over..

I feel like i am always changing thing on her..

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 22:57:11 pm »
I felt the same way - we tried SO many different formulas.  I did find that her sleep improved almost magically when we switched off of Similac Advance.  It was a nice bonus!  We're using Good Starts right now with pretty good success although DD doesn't stay as satisfied as other brand (due to the partial digested proteins).  Also DDs intake dropped on Enfamil Lactose Free (although naps were good). 

I always just changed all at once.  We had constipation issues, and the switch usually got a nice, good poo out of DD.  In fact, DH and I joked that the problem would be solved if we just rotated the formula.  How did you introduce the soy formula?  You might want to use the same manner.  Although there might be more of a flavor change going from soy to milk based.  If you think your LO will notice the different taste, you might want to blend.

If she's doing well on the soy, why change?  I'd ask the pediatrician.  My 2 nephews were on soy-based formulas until they were on regular milk. 

"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 13:07:21 pm »
Can you post what your schedule was kinda like with no dreem feed. i also have that problem i feed her at 7  and she will only take 1 or 2 oz at 10 or 11, i don't think it is helping and we are exhausted since she wakes at 3:30 anyway..
thanks for the advice..

Dana
I have posted my routine when Calum was just shy of 3 months as well (he had the cold at this time, so the routine was abit in the air).

Wake 7am
E 0730 6oz
A
S 0915 1hr in the car
A 1015

E 1100 5oz
A 1120
S 1200 (2hrs)
A 1400

E 1430 6oz
A 1500
S 1630 (1hr 50)
A 1710

E 1800  6oz
A1830
S 1850 - 1910 20min c/nap
A 1910

E 2000 - 1st half of bedtime bottle
A bath, etc
E 2030 - 2nd half of bedtime bottle 8oz in total
*S2045

E 0430 3oz until 7am

*our bedtime was always this late until I started moving it back slowly to 8pm in Feb (DH works shifts or long days, so any earlier he wouldn't get to so DS on a daily basis, DH also does the bath, etc)

I have looked at his routine for other days around this time, this is the most consistant because of his cold and outtings we had. Also when he was younger we inadvertantly started a cluster feed 6pm then 8pm. It felt like all we did was feed from 6pm, but he asked for it, he always seemed hungry at teatime. We used to have to get our own tea just after his 6pm feed - I am glad that he is more settled now!

HTHs

Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 09:06:20 am »
Dana
How are things going?
Lauren
Lauren x

Offline rileyand wyatt

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
  • having so much fun!!!!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 22:52:53 pm »
Lauren,

Thanks for asking. I don't want to sound to positive since everything changes at a drop of a hat inthis house BUT..

I have her on a 4 hour EASY. she has been staying up for 2 hours then going down for an 1 1/2 to 2 hour nap. i switched her nipple back to #1 and i am mixing the formula  (soy and normal() she has been taking 4 to 5 oz per feed, which is much better then she has been doing..

we skipped the dreamfeed the other night and she slept till 3:30, we gave it to her last night and she woke at 2:30.. I can't figure her night times out. she is all ove the board, BUT at least i am getting food in her during the day.

Any words of advice on the night time thing. I am afraid to start the paci at night  to extend her sleep..
 i kinda feel she should be sleeping thru the night but maybe she isn't ready since she is all over the board between 2:30 and 4:30.

Again thanks for asking

Dana

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 14:39:07 pm »
Sounds good  ;D
Lauren x