Author Topic: Erratic eating - using food as a weapon  (Read 864 times)

Offline Akua

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Erratic eating - using food as a weapon
« on: March 12, 2006, 23:48:53 pm »
Our 21 month old sometimes eats really well, but sometimes he will go for days without eating properly at all. He can usually be relied on to eat fruit, biscuits, yoghurt and sometimes jars of toddler food. Sometimes he will eat in front of the TV but not in his highchair. He can sense that we get very anxious about it and I think he is usuing it as a bit of a weapon, just because it's something he can control. He often does the same thing at nursery in the day. He seems to lose weight quite quickly when he is not eating and it is very worrying. What do we do? Do we ignore the food refusal and just trust that he will eat when he's ready? Or do we keep trying to cajole him to eat? Do we offer him sweet things / fruit when he hasn't had his main course, or do we withhold the things he will eat unless he eats up the other food first? Do we refuse to feed him in front of the TV and make him sit in the high chair? ANy tips would be useful.

Offline jubee

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Erratic eating - using food as a weapon
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 03:17:06 am »
I don't have much advice, but I can identify with your situation somewhat.  I am interested to see what others have to say too.  Good Luck. :)
Julie