Author Topic: Waking more often since beginning dreamfeed  (Read 6460 times)

Offline shelliz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 217
  • Shelby - mom to two fabulous kids!
Waking more often since beginning dreamfeed
« on: March 13, 2006, 02:07:17 am »
Hi, I am new to the website. I have read Tracey's book as well as read her interview. I have a question about the dream feed. My baby (4 1/2 months) had gotten into the routine of waking bw/ 2 & 3:00 a.m as well as at 5:00 a.m.   I then read "Baby Whisperer" and implemented her suggested routine for her age. Since I have been doing the dream feed (b/w 10 & 11:00 p.m.) , my LO has been waking every two hours and some nights every hour after 2:00 a.m. . She was not doing this before the dream feed. I want to try and stick it out, but I wonder if this feed is messing up here sleep schedule for some reason.  I am also curious....If my daughter is used to getting one night feeding at 4:00 a.m., do I phase it out by feeding her an hour earlier each night or by just rousing an hour earlier but not feeding.  (sorry this is so long!)
  Here are her stats:
How old is your child? 21 weeks
What’s his/her daily routine? 4 hours EASY routine
What’s nap routine? 2 naps a day plus short catnap @ 5:00 (sometimes)
How long are naps?1 to 2 hrs each
What's bedtime routine? Time? Start routine no later than 7:15. Finally get her to sleep b/w 7:45 & 8:30
Do you bottle or breastfed??  breastfed
How much? or how long? The max she usually goes is 20 min (usually only 12-15)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed). Usually one side at each feeding.
How many wakes per night? It was 2 before I began baby whisperer EASY and p.u./p.d.  (the past four nights has been 4 times a night)
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Normallly wakes crying, sometimes babbling. Up no more than 30 min
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry? Mix of fussing/Crying (not mantra in the middle of the night)
What have you tried to settle?? lay my hand on her back (doesn't like patting) and I whisper "we're just going night night". This actually has begun to calm her over the past 4 days.
What do you do for A time and how long is it? play gym, johnny jumper, a walk outside, baby einstein video, or exersaucer. What ever suits her at that time. I do watch to make certain she isn't getting overstimulated.
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones? Not yet
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? I have introduced it a few weeks ago at my pedi's recommendation. My daughter was a bit light compared to the average. I believe that was why she said I could begin rice cereal. I don't give it every day though.
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? I did use brstfdg before begining the BW training as well as bringing her into my bed every so often when she would wake at 4:00 a.m.
Do they have a lovie. I have given her one just recently. She seems to like it.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Waking more often since beginning dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 02:37:44 am »
No advice - just want to lurk on this posting.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 03:10:03 am »
Can;t give to much advice you on this as ds is 8 months and still wakes everynight for df and uaually 1 or twice more to be resettled :-\.
I do know from reading other post that the df isn't for every baby.  Some babys sleep patterns can be distrubed by this.
Im am sure someone will be along to help you out.
All the best :)
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Jo-FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:07:44 am »
Hi there

When did you start offering the dreamfeed?  It can take lo's up to a week of being offered the DF for their sleep patterns to adjust, gaining the DF the desired outcome.  As the pp said though, the DF is not for everyone.  My DS was always disturbed by the DF and I decided not to perservere, and instead to wait for him to wake - and to give him a feed then.

My other thought is if the introduction of cereal is causing the wakings.  4 months is quite young to be offering solids - depending on where you are I know that most country's don't encourage the introduction of solids until the 6 month mark.  Babies digestive systems have a lot of maturing to do before they can handle solids - maybe you might think about holding off on the solids for a bit and see if your lo's sleep habits return to normal.

Good luck
Jo

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 08:51:13 am »
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? I have introduced it a few weeks ago at my pedi's recommendation. My daughter was a bit light compared to the average. I believe that was why she said I could begin rice cereal. I don't give it every day though.

Hiya, just an observation about this, I would say rice cereal has LESS calorific value then breast and certainly bottle. It would be better for her to get more milk rather then cereal, especially if you are saying she is smaller/lighter than average. Although I appreciate you are only following your ped's advise.

As Jo says it can take a week for any benefit of the d/f to show, have you only been doing it 4 nights so far?
Lauren x

Offline shelliz

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 12:38:56 pm »
    I have only been offering the DF for 4 nights. Actually the first two nights I woke her at around 10:45 for the DF, and the two nights after that she was already fully awakening before I even went in for the DF.  I think I may already phase the DF out. I think that she may already be in the habit of waking now. I am not sure how to handle that??
     In response to the next post....I was shocked as well when my Pedi said to start cereal.  I personally didn't want to give her anything but bm for 6 months.  I only give it to every so often...not even every day.  She isn't really that small (at least to me!).  She was 35% of the avg babies her age. She weighed 14.5 at her 4 month visit....but she has baby fat rolls all over!! I think she may just be petite like her mom. I don't know, but I do know that I will hold off on the cereal for another month (as she will be 5 months in 2 days.)  I thank you for the posts. This BW training has been good, but I got a bit more confused when I read Tracey's interview. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing for my little one!   Any other thoughts on my issues is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks ladies!   ;)

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 12:45:51 pm »
Hi, Have you tried the d/feed earlier at 10pm, also you should not be waking her to do it. Have you checked out the following post, it may help more;  https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

I wouldn't worry if your DD is petite and healthy putting onm weight every week, I assume she is.
Lauren x

Offline shelliz

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 12:51:07 pm »
 The first two nights for the DF, she didn't wake as I took her from her crib and fed her, but when I laid her back down (as gently as I could) she kind of aroused a bit. Not enough to to p.u./p.d., but a little cry and then back to sleep. The  third and fourth nights I was planning to go in around 10:30 and she awoke before I could go in. I may try going in even earlier.  She just awakes so easily...that is why I am not sure the DF is for her. 

Thanks for the advice

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 12:54:41 pm »
Try it for the week if it isn't for you both, then drop it - it isn't for everyone.
Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 13:09:49 pm »
have you tried clusterfeeding at night instead? If you post your routine we can help you further.
Lauren x

Offline MatthewsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:20:27 am »
Hi there,
I posted about the same thing a few days ago - I tried the DF for 4 nights for my 4 mos old son and it disturbed his sleep and he started waking for it and only slept an hour later than his usual wake up, so it wasn't worth it for me (each person is differen though). I was concerned it would be a problem so I stopped and it took about 3 nights for him to get back on track (although he's still waking in the night, sometimes several times but this was an issue prior...). I would try it for a week if that's the recommendation but if it doesn't work then give it three days to go back and just stick to your routine well those days. I am clustering instead and it's working better for me! I keep thinking he'll sleep thru one of these days soon!

Hope this helps!
Lauren

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 07:08:56 am »
df never worked for us, dd just woke more often, but you should try it for a least 1 week before you drop it, we cluster fed, all the best

Offline shelliz

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 12:56:39 pm »
Thanks for all of the advice.  Each night I plan to the DF earlier and earlier and she has still been waking before I can get to her to do the DF. It is just discouraging b/c now she is waking at 12:00 a.m, 3:00, 4:00, 5:00 & 6:00 a.m. This was never occuring before the dreamfeed. I will finish off the week and then I think I will just cluster. I hope I can get her back to what she was doing (only waking 2 times a night).  Three great things since I have started the BW is she is taking two longer naps a day, going longer b/w feeds and she is no longer ending up in my bed when she would awake at 3:00 a.m. So... I know this is a positive thing. I am just discouraged that the DF has seemed to disrupt her even more.
 Thank you again for all of your posts!

Offline shelliz

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2006, 12:58:52 pm »
Ooops....didn't know my picture would come through soooo big. Sorry

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!