Author Topic: Cluster Feeds  (Read 1056 times)

Offline sueb31

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 13, 2006, 02:41:21 am »
My boy is now 12 weeks old and still has cluster feeds. He has been sleeping through from the DF to 6.30am for 1-2 weeks now and I'd like to try getting rid of the cluster feeds. He does like his food and cries if I even try to hold off a bit on the first cluster feed.

Current feed times are:
7am, 10.30am, 2.30pm, 5.15pm, 6.45-7pm, 10.30pm.

He only has a catnap in the afternoon (eg 4.30-5) but always wants food when he wakes! Am I just being impatient? Or is he just used to the routine? I just can't seem to make that 5.15 feed any later. If I try to only give one side, he will cry and only settle after having the other side. He then seems to have a smaller feed at 7pm. I haven't tried distracting him, the only thing that might work would be a walk, but I don't want to deprive him if he's hungry. Any suggestions???     

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Cluster Feeds
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 14:52:28 pm »
Hi there,

WOW!  Your baby has done really well in the sleep department, that's for sure.  Congrats to you for your hard work.

About changing the cluster feeds.  I am not an expert, but I would think that you may want to keep it a bit longer.  Your lo is only getting 6 feeds a day, and if you drop a cluster, you would be down to 5.  I think if I were you, I'd keep it at 6.  But I can understand your wanting to adjust things. 

I think when he begins to drop that catnap, it will be a better time to reduce the number of feeds.... especially if your lo is happy with everything right now.  If it aint' broke, don't fix it!  :)

But truly, there may be someone else that can advise you on how to drop one if you really want, but I think around 12 weeks they have a growth spurt, so you may want to wait until that passes.

HTH!   Good luck
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline ellenaaron

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 18:46:31 pm »
IT looks like you have him on a 4 hour schedule already, but isn't that supposed to be closer to 4 months old when they switch to a 4 hour routine?  Maybe if you moved his daytime feeds closer to 3 hours apart, he could get more feeds in during the day and might not need the cluster feeds?

Offline sueb31

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 03:49:56 am »
Thanks for your opinions and advice, I see what you mean. I should count my blessings and not mess with a good thing! I had forgotten about the growth spurt around the corner too. Maybe I was just getting jealous of those babies who sleep right through...patience is a virtue I guess.