Author Topic: Any breastfeeders dropping the dreamfeed soon?  (Read 897 times)

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Any breastfeeders dropping the dreamfeed soon?
« on: March 13, 2006, 03:38:55 am »
Hi there.  DD is about 7.5 months now and according to BW will likely be ready to phase out the dream feed in a few weeks.  Since we can't exactly measure ounces, I'm hoping to get some pointers from those bf-ers who have successfully phased out the df before I dive into this in a few weeks. 

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Any breastfeeders dropping the dreamfeed soon?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 15:00:15 pm »
Hi there,

My lo is almost 8 months, so I can appreciate your anticipation of dropping the df.

This is how I have done it.  I don't believe it's the method that they advocate in BW... I think they suggest dropping the number of minutes per feed.....

But this is how I have started... I just didn't do it!  lol.  One night I decided I would not feed him and see if he would wake on his own.  I woke up at 3am and then again at 5am and the little guy just kept on sleeping.  This worked for 3 nights and then we needed to give him his df two nights in a row and then back to nothing.  So this is what we are workign with right now.  I anticipate being woken up at night to feed him, but wake up pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to.

HTH!  Good luck.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline magicbelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Re: Any breastfeeders dropping the dreamfeed soon?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 02:41:17 am »
Hi again Mommy in Moose Jaw,

My lo is 7mths & 3wks and i want to drop the df. I only bf and i have left it out once, she slept through, the next time woke at 11pm so i havent dropped it yet.

I have a few issues that are arising and I want to nip them in the bud. I am not sure if we are getting into some accidental parenting but perhaps you could share your wisdom. Usually on a 4 hrly Easy starting the day at 7am. now the past 2 weeks this has become earlier and earlier and now she wakes hungry at 5.30 - 6am so i feed her. She seems to get straight back on to schedule through the day. I had a look at some sample EASY's for this age and it seems no one gives afternoon catnaps. My lo usually naps 1/2hr around 5pm or she becomes too tired. I am starting to wonder if she is getting too much sleep. I could usually put her down with little fussing now every nap and evening bedtime it is taking me 20-40min to settle her again. I am worried it i drop the df cold turkey i may cause more problems and disrupt her sleep. I have brought the df earlier to 9.30pm but if i tally up her feeds i feel i am giving her more than average. My rough schedule is as follows. do you think she is too old for the schedule:

6.30 bf and play
8.00 solids
8.30 nap for 1.5hrs
10.30-11 bf and play
12.00 solids
1.00 nap for 1.5hrs
2.30-3 bf
5.00 solids & bath
5.30 1/2 hr nap
6.30 bf
7.00 bed
9.30-10 df

sorry to drop in on your post but i was intereted in your opinion.
Thanks