Author Topic: Do I switch to 4 hours?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline elliotlove

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 13, 2006, 19:03:45 pm »
My son is 3m3w old and is on 3 hour EASY.....He goes down for naps without a fuss at all. He can easily nap for 1.5 hours and has done 2 hours. However, if he hasnt eaten enough beforehand (because he wont take much) he sleeps for only 45 minutes and will take 2-45 minute naps.

He has been waking all night long......only hours after he is put down....and every 2 hours or so after that. Its awful. He is not always  hungry when he wakes (only maybe once or twice).......and he goes right back to sleep with a shhh or a pat.

When I am making bottles for him I never have a clue how much to put in them because I never know if he will take 2,3,4 or 5 oz. Its very frustrating.

Dont know what I am dong wrong. Its been like this for almost a month now.  :( He used to sleep through the night starting at 6 weeks old!!!

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Do I switch to 4 hours?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 21:32:06 pm »
Have you ruled out a gas problem?  This same thing (waking off and on all night) happened with my dd around that age, and I noticed she would grunt and groan and pull her legs up.  Gas drops will take care of that.
How many oz per day would you guess he's taking?  Moving to a 4 hr feeding routine would be fine at his age, but you want to make sure he's going to take in enough during the day so he won't be looking for it at night.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline stuckingermany

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 20:13:31 pm »
I wouldn't push the transition to 4 hour EASY. It is more important to me to have them sleeping through the night. My OL was 6 months old before I got him on 4 hour EASY. He was a very hungry little guy finishing off 230ml (~8ozs) at every 3 hour feed. There was no way I could go to 4 hour EASY (too afraid). But when I started to introduce solids he kinda fell into 4 hour EASY on his own. Don't get me wrong, 4 hour EASY at 4 months works for a lot of people, but you have to also look at your individual child.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: Do I switch to 4 hours?
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 20:51:24 pm »
Also, when he wakes in the night, are you giving him time to resettle himself?  If he's just making noise, it might just be normal baby noises as he shifts between sleep stages.  If he settles so easily with shh/pat you might want to give him a chance to settle himself if he's not hungry.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007