Author Topic: scared by noise  (Read 1282 times)

Offline home alone

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 14
scared by noise
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:46:19 am »
hi
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 03:30:16 am by home alone »
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Re: scared by noise
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 04:13:24 am »
This happened with us too. I believe it's quite normal. How old is you lo now? We actually used the blow dryer when dd was an undiagnosed refluxer to help her sleep. Then around 4 months I believe she suddenly became terrified of the blow dryer, vacuum, blender, etc. I think it's part of their awareness developing. The good news is she she did outgrow it! I think it's a totally normal stage...

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 04:44:07 am »
Hi,
ds  is suddenly sared of the vaccumm as well, and bags?? garbage bags, groceries bags, chip bags, bread bags etc.  weird eh, we tried to see if a paper bag would bother him today but it didn't. ???
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline maggieruth

• Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 08:02:06 am »
it all has to do with being able to detect and understand all the sensations the world brings.  some of us have sharper or duller senses and when your senses are sharp and your brain has just learned how to pay attention to them, the world can become a scary place when a noise starts.  (have you ever seen a bunch of five year olds listening to a band with their hands over their ears- they are still working on making sounds work better for them!)  babies haven't got the brains to know that the noise isn't a threat or that it will end as soon as its clean under the coffee table!!!
i would stay with her whenever possible when scary noises are happening and they can't happen when she isn't around.  instead of letting her cry a bit when a noise is scary to acclimatise her, find fun noises that she can enjoy with you or even noises that she can make!  being in control of a noise is a good way of having it be more fun.  if the blow dryer is scary what about a small fan? etc.   support your dd with things that are just bearable rather than things that are scary and be there with her.  (you may find that if you DO let her cry a bit to get used to something that her her brain that can't think her way out of the fear actually lays down pathways associating sounds with fear for much longer!)
as she gets bigger and learns to tell herself that the noise won't be there forever, that mummy and daddy are near and won't let the noise hurt her etc, then her brain will start to help her pay less attantion to the noise that bothers her so much now.  for right now its a pain but by being sensative to her needs, your daughter will get better about this.  :)
( BTW, there are also a group of kids who love noise! (my son is one of these).  while this may sound fab right now, he likes to do lots of happy screams to create noise when he is bored so there isn't really an ideal situation!  ::))
HTH!