Author Topic: Would love a mentor for 6mo Brady -- just starting EASY -- wanna help??  (Read 1053 times)

Offline steffer

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Would love some personal one on one advice as we work on implementing EASY for the first time.  (Brady will be 6mo tomorrow)

Why we waited so long to start......
Our situation:
Brady was born Sept 14th with a heart defect which will require open heart surgery next month, so everything I had done with my 3yo Zach, including using BW techniques were out the window.  Per our Dr, we could not let Brady cry as it could cause oxygenation problems and he could turn blue, and become unconscious from the stress.  I also had to feed on demand because his little heart burned more calories than normal, so he needed to eat more often.  I also had to comfort nurse day and night to keep him calm.  As you can imagine, life is chaotic, with no routine, and I am a walking Zombie because he does not sleep more than a few hours at a time and he only naps for 20-45 mins a couple times a day!

The good news:  Brady is doing REALLY well, in fact, we never had any blueness and got the all clear to let him cry / learn to self soothe.  He is also gaining weight on track so no need to constantly feed him.  SO NOW WE CAN GET INTO A ROUTINE -- woohoo!

I decided to start today to get on the EASY flow of the day and attack naps first.  I did our bedtime routine (book, song, cuddle) and put him in the crib awake.  He was asleep within 5 minutes!!!!!  I went into his room at about the 30 min mark to wait on him waking and of course he got completely awake at 45 min mark.  I picked him up, shh'ed him, put on some teething cream, and we went right back to sleep.  HE SLEPT FOR 2hrs and 15 min!  First time ever in his crib for that long for a nap.  He has done that sleeping on our chest.  I cant even tell you how excited I am.

I am nursing and giving formula because I wanted to make sure he was getting enough calories.  We also just started cereal.

Any thoughts on how to get things going.  Should I get the nap thing down before we try to tackle nighttime?

NOTE:  Brady is scheduled for surgery in mid April, so I am sure that will throw a kink into things.  I was going to wait to start all of this until after the surgery, but I just cant take the lack of sleep and chaos anymore.

WOULD LOVE YOUR INPUT!
Stef
csztait@hotmail.com

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Can you give a quick run down (roughly) of your day, when does her wake in the morning, what time does he go to bed at night, how often are you feeding?

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07