Author Topic: Suddenly disliking foods which he used to love!  (Read 746 times)

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Suddenly disliking foods which he used to love!
« on: March 14, 2006, 08:38:20 am »
I've been giving my son (nearly one year old) Annabel Karmel recipes which he seemed to really enjoy. There's a lentil one and a chicken one which, until a few days ago, he would wolf down. Now he takes a spoonful and recoils in disgust and won't touch either of them. Could freezing the food change the taste (the stuff doesn't stay in the freezer longer than a few days) or is he just testing me? It's so frustrating...
Emma
Harry 24/03/05

Offline katesmum38

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Suddenly disliking foods which he used to love!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 13:20:13 pm »
Hi Emma,

Kate is almost 1 too, and for the last two weeks or so we have been having similar problems.  I have used Annabel's recipies, and Kate wolfed down the lot - she used to make us laugh as we couldn't feed her fast enough.  Then she started gagging on the food, and was even sick a couple of times.  Looking through the board there seems to be several possible reasons, you'll have to see what suits your situation most.

It could be a 'strike' which usually means that your lo is getting more independent and wants to feed themselves.  They reject the spoon.  Is your ds ok with finger foods?  If so then it might be it's time to let him get involved in feeding himself more - messy times ahead.  Also this should pass over time.

Is he teething?  if so eating might be a discomfort and so he doesn't want to.  Experiment with softer foods as these take less 'chewing' and might be easier on the gums.

Does he have a temp?  refusing food might be a sign of a bug or virus.  If you think he might have a temp check with the gp asap.

Does lo have reflux?  although it is usually better with solids, he might be suffering a little, check out the reflux advice if you think this is the case.

HTH

Tina

Kate was born 6th April, for an accountant to have a baby on the first day of the tax year is a bit of a joke!

Offline themarlatts

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:57:30 am »
My LO is has been doing the same thing for around 2 weeks now - I decided it must be time for self feeding.  He has started eating a lot more since I've been giving him finger foods for meals.  I did discover, though, that he will take anything I feed him from my own plate with a fork - my DH and I are thinking he just wants to be involved with our family meals and eating like the rest of us.

Offline Hsmum

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 02:15:30 am »
Thanks to both of you. I think the independence is what he wants. He's not ill, not teething and doesn't have reflux. He only has two front teeth which arrived when he was 10.5 months (!!) so he's been a little slow on the solids! He has just started to "chew" toast and I'm going to try him with some veggie fingers later today!