Author Topic: EASY routine for my 7 week old  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Ziggy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 14, 2006, 09:43:29 am »
Please Please can you help me have just started my 7 week old on the 3 hour easy, first off he only takes 5-10mins to feed and has from day one no matter how hard I try and pop him back on he is not interested ( is this normal) Because of his short feed time he only seems to be up for about 20mins before showing tired signs I then pop him down and he sometimes sleeps for only 30 mins by which time he stirs and starts fussing I normally pop his dummy in and most of the time he goes back to sleep, because he has such a short awake time I wonder how long to let him sleep, I know that it is only supposed to be 1 1/2 hours but that means I wake him sometimes 45 mins before his next feed is due.  I also cannot figure out his cries to me they all sound the same and I have no clue if he is hungry or not if it hasnt been 3 hours since his last feed I normally pop his dummy in or pick him up and cuddle him and he sometimes is happy with this other times he keeps spitting the dummy out and I keep popping it back in.  Im also confused about night time he wakes up at 1-2 am and then sometimes again at anywhere between 4-6 is this normal and if he wakes up nearer the 6am what shall I do if I feed him how do I start the routine from 7am. Also is it quite normal for them not to want to sleep when away from home, at the moment when ever we go out my liittle one will not go to sleep or if he does its only for 20 mins I hope this all makes sense as am really confused and not sure if Im doing the right thing. should add he is making wet nappies and pooing like a trooper.

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: EASY routine for my 7 week old
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 14:53:57 pm »
LOL!  You sound like you are doing a wonderful job.  Just take a deep breathe and relax! 

First off, congrats.

Now, I will help in a few areas, but there is an EASY forum, that can maybe help you out a bit more.  We can help mostly iwth the bfing issues. 

The A time at your los age is very short.  Very, very short.  Don't forget that nappy changes are considered part of A time.  They dont' do much but cry, sleep and eat right now. 

Your lo likely won't be sleeping through the night anytime soon, so don't stress night wakings.  And I would suggest to get out, even if it messes up your los naps for a bit during the day.  It's important that you don't stay house bound.  This is for the benefit of the mama.... and without a happy/healthy mama, the baby won't be etiher.

If he is sleeping and there isn't a weight concern, letting him sleep is fine. 

Again, pop over to the EASY forum and look up sample routines for your los age.  It may rest a lot of your concerns.  SOunds like you are a concerned first time mama.... we've all been there.  As for when to start the day, I'm not too sure about that.

Please let me know if you are still stressing anything in particular.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 14:58:51 pm »
https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=10384.0

That is a link to the 0-3 EASY routines that other mamas have posted.

HTH

Offline Ziggy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 01:12:24 am »
Thank you so much for your reply you have made me feel alot better and I have just read some of the routines for 0-3 months. I just have a couple more questions. Last night I forgot to set my alarm for dream feed (very tired mummy) my LO did not wake till 3am when I feed him then he sleeped through till 7am when I woke him should I go back to dream feed tonight. Also when they are 8 weeks I have read that you only have 1 cluster feed what time should this be.  Just one more question Im pretty much sticking to the time routine for 3 hour easy in regards to feeding as am finding it hard to interpret cries is this ok and if they settle with cuddle and dummy does this mean that they dont need feeding right away and am I right to resettle if LO wakes up after just 45 min nap time. Sorry about all the questions.

Offline daisymelan

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 01:33:51 am »
I understand the tired mommy thing all too well!  It was that long that I was in your shoes, but guess what.... the time sure does fly.  I would do the dreamfeed tonight, although your lo slept through, it is good to establish it, who knows.... maybe he will sleep through until 7am this morning, but more than likely not.  It's a good thing to stick with if you lo takes it well.

I'm not too sure when the other cluster feed should be and whether you should extend the nap by 45 minutes.  If you posted a sample routine, it would be easier to help you with. 

I too found it hard to interpret cries, but using EASY helps you learn them.  Your lo still has quite a need to suckle at that age, so if they are comforted with a paci and don't seem hungry (I guess signs would be that they are settling back down, etc) then it is ok to go with the 3 hours.  But some mamas need to nurse every 2 hours until maybe even three months, so if you think he is hungry, nurse him and see how long she nurses for, this will indicate whether they are doing it for comfort or because they are really hungry.

Don't worry, it takes a while to start recognizing everything.  Trust me, I was not a natural, but BW does help you become much better and then you can "fool" ppl into thinking you are. 

I hope this helps, please update us and let us know how else we can help.

Offline Ziggy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:40:02 am »
Thank you for reply will wait till today is over and send you copy of routine thanks again