Author Topic: Independent play....  (Read 1395 times)

Offline cam621

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Independent play....
« on: March 14, 2006, 20:01:20 pm »
What sorts of things can a 9 month old do independently besides watch a Baby Einstein video?  :)  I am just curious because I feel as if my dd needs to play more independently but I am nervous about leaving her by herself on the floor (even if I can still see her) as if she still can flop over once in a while from sitting position.  She can't crawl or walk yet...Is there anything I should be putting her in so that she can do stuff on her own? 

Offline Ennypen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 1033
  • My family x
    • my facebook
Re: Independent play....
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 20:12:44 pm »
Although my health visitor has said that its important they play sat on the floor I cant leave Will sat on the floor for the same reason - he flops over and bumps his head.
I put him in an inflatable playnest when I want him to spend time playing by himself - great fun and safe!

Heres a picture of him in it - this one was from mothercare!

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 21:02:45 pm »
we also used one of them , they are great , so many things to look at and grab. i was busy in the kitchen one day and had him sat in the playnest on the kitchen table ( big table so he was safe) when i turned around he had managed to get hold of the apples in the fruit bowl . he was happy slobbering on one. he also loved the mirror.
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 15:17:46 pm »
We also have one, Calum can't sit up on his own yet, but it help when he grabs on to the toys  ::), he if he wants to relax  :P

I can leave him to play with or without the tyre at the moment. It also helps to keep swapping the hanging toys around occasionally.

Lauren x

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 15:18:38 pm »
...relaxing  :P
Lauren x

Offline ks6

• Showing Appreciation 57
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 17:22:54 pm »
We have a basket full of little toys--ones that he may need supervision for.  Ribbons, yarn, old film containers (filled with veggie puffs so if it opens, he doesn't choke), tiny stuffed animals, potholders, rings, measuring cups.  If ds falls over, he's so interested he doesn't seem to care.  I have to stay in the room to watch him, but he can play with this FOREVER.  It is really fun to watch him poke around the basket and choose a toy, shake it, put it in his mouth, put it down, and find another one.

Offline ambersmum

• Showing Appreciation 19
  • Juilet - Manchester England
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 19:38:15 pm »
my dd would play sitting on the floor with any of her toys when she was pre-crawling, if she wobbled over she didn't mind too much as we have carpet.

While I was cooking or washing up in the kitchen she liked her doorway bouncer(do you know what I mean? Not sure what they are called), great for pre-crawlers. She liked being upright as she couldn't yet stand unaided.

She would also be happy in the highchair with a few raisins to chew or plastic food pots to hold/chuck on the floor while I worked in the kitchen. Sounds like I spend all day in the kitchen!!!!!! Not true at all!!!!

She always played in the same room as me whatever  I was doing.

HTH

juliet