Author Topic: help i need advice about night wakenings although following EASY since birth  (Read 1077 times)

Offline kcolaes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
hello everybody, i need your advice (sorry for my written english but i'm from belgium)

our daughter (10.5 months old) was a good sleeper since she was 12 weeks old, i followed Tracy's EASY-routine and she slept easely through the night from 7pm 'till 7am (perfect)

a month ago she had an double ear infection and since then things got worse, although we never tried accidental parenting
when she cried we calmed her in her own bed, never took her to our room and never fed her, she fell asleep on her own after 30-40 minutes
now she's better but the night wakenings are still there between 2.30am and 4.30am, she still goes easely to sleep on her own after our bedtime-routine during day and night
at night she wakes up crying (bad dreams, milestone? she's crawling for over two months, no teething either)
it takes me about 40minutes to calm her so that she can go to sleep
i've read tracy's new book and she confirmed my 'behaviour' during my daughter's night wakenings: calm her, try the PD (from PU/PD) and lay your hand on her back or on her tommy (i do it untill she's calm and not untill she falls asleep, then i leave the room without big problems)
the night wakenings never tend to happen around the same hour, so i can't try to wake her an hour before her waking point
she also wakes up very early (5.30-6am) although she lacks sleeping time because of her night wakenings

i'm pregant again, i work full time and my husband is regulary abroad for his job so please what should i do or what do i do wrong? at night she is never hungry

my daughter has quite a goud routine and in the daycare center they follow it perfectly, she's very happy there

how it used to be:
7am: waking and bottle (10-11OZ)
9.30-9.45am: nap
11-11.15: waking and lunch (solids vegetables, meat or fish)
2pm: nap
4pm: waking and fruits and babycookies
6pm: sandwich, babycookie, snack
bath
7pm: bottle (10-11OZ)
7.15pm: bedtime

when she's awake too soon (5.30-6am) i try to put her down for her nap not before 9am
should i move gradually the naps? my daughter shows no signs of quiting the morning nap
the way and amount she's eating i think at night she is not hungry
maybe it's just a period (this excuse is actually no good for me anymore)

thanks in advance for your replies

kathleen and daughter Jill

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
Sorry to hear about all your troubles,
I too am going thru the same situation.  My lo got sick and it has been 3.5 months with all the same problems as you.  the only thing I can suggest is to make sure you stick with your routine, it sounds like you are doing everything right but I am with you and sick of this phase.  Does your lo not have cereal for breakfast?  Maybe that would help.  If you figure it out let me know.    Also you could try wake to sleep at 4:30 for a couple of nights even if she doesn't wake consistantly at 5:30 or 6.  It might work.  Good luck.
tinytatsmom

Offline kcolaes

• Showing Appreciation 0
it feels fine to hear that i'm doing not too much wrong but when you tell me that you are in the same situation for the last 3 months oh my god! how will my further pregnancy-period look like then?exhausting!!

is your lo also around 10-11 months old? waking up without a routine? a good eater?
how long are her naps during dayperiod?
are you also having friends who had the same problem or are we the only two on earth? my friends are all surprised and never had the problem for such al long time
it's a mystery and a puzzle that i can't seem to finish because i can't find all the pieces

i 've never tried cereals (is that for instance corn flakes with milk or a sandwich with butter and cheese?) after the morning bottle so that is a good suggestion
last night i put her to bed a little earlier (6.45pm instead of 7.15) and my daughter woke up around 2.45am babbling for an hour, than cried a minute for her paci (found out that she had problems with her nasal breathing because of an upcoming cold i guess)
then babbling for another 20 minutes and she fell asleep on her own 'till 7.45am so that's ok for me

tonight i maybe try WTS and i'm going to put 5 or 6 pacies in her bed so she can find it on her own, maybe that will also make a difference??

i'll keep you posted
good luck with your persistance to your routine!

Offline kcolaes

• Showing Appreciation 0

we've got two night in a row that went a little better (no waking during the night, awake around 6.15am) but last night it was back to reality!
i've tried to give a sandwich around 9am and a pudding around 4.30pm
maybe that's the reason of the improvement
now i can see that she has again a cold and a cough so the nights will be a little more difficult i guess

could it be that she has nightmares? last night she woke up around 11.30pm crying very loudly
it took my husband around 1hour and 30 minutes to get her back to sleep

help help, i start to have problems with keeping my eyes opened during the day i'm tired

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
sorry for the late reply,
No I don't think that we are the only 2 on earth b/c my sister-in-law had the same problem with her lo.  Oddly enough Tatiana got sick after she visited her cousins.  Sister let her son cry it out after several months.  her lo was about 3 months old and slept thru the night and got sick and it was the same as us for 3 months.  She was back on track and my lo was sleeping 10.5 hours and we visited and they didn't bother telling us 2 out of 3 kids were sick and whamo it all started.  Is it wrong that I am still cursing her?  She had no concern to tell us they were sick before our arrival, I could have screamed. 
Tatiana is 9 months old, a very good eater.

Offline kcolaes

• Showing Appreciation 0
so, it all went a little better the last nights, my daughter slept thru 2 night out of 4!
i should say that the calming down goes faster and takes now only 5 to 10 minutes, tracy was right after all, but you should be patient because i've tried putting down for over 17 nights
she wakes mostly around 5 am (the wakenings around 2 or 3 am seem to have stopped, fingers crossed!) and after calming her she goes back down untill 6.45 or 7am

i see improvement when i'm feeding her cereals in the morning so that was a good suggestion
there is a big cold coming so what will it be next week??

hope to hear you soon