Author Topic: She wakes every 1.5 hours  (Read 1221 times)

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
She wakes every 1.5 hours
« on: March 15, 2006, 18:32:55 pm »
Help!!!
I have been trying to consistantly follow the easy routine forabout 12 days now with my 9 month spirited lo.  She eats between 6 - 8 ozs at 7, 11, 3, 7, has 3 meals a day and cereal at bedtime.  so  here is the problem  Some nights she will wake and hour or two after bedtime which I suspect is b/c she is overtired (we are working on that IE extending naps, earlier bedtime,etc), but some nights she will go for a stretch of 3 - 4 hours than she will wake every 1.5 hours.  This is better b/c she used to wake every 45 minutes.  I go in reassure her, put her back on her back (if she has flipped around) and help her get back to sleep.  So what's the deal? I have extended her naps but every 1.5 hours usually between 1 and 5 give or take a bit is rediculous,  what do I do.  I don't pick her up I don't go in until a full blown cry, so what is next?  HAVE I BECOME HER PROP and if so how do I stop it?
tinytatsmom

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
Re: She wakes every 1.5 hours
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 02:33:35 am »
Hello out there I still need help!!  Anybody, anywhere?

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 04:43:09 am »
how many naps is she having in the day & what times are they?
how does she actually fall asleep?
I do think the fact you "reposition her" is an issue as it says she can only go to sleep in "a certain position" so maybe try teaching her to go back to sleep in what ever position you find her... by patting her.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline tinytatsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
  • I am working hard!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 13:45:00 pm »
hi katet,
She naps usually at 9 and 1 and we aim for 1.5 hours each but it doesn't always happen.  I considered that my repositioning her was a bit of an issue so I have tried to stop, as well I am trying to make sure that we don't rush in.  I think that she is teething currently so things are a little amuck.  I have also been trying not to pat or ssh past the need of comfort, just stay in the room in case she needs me (she can't see me).  when I can tell she is on her way to dreamland I step out.
thanks for the ideas,
tinytatsmom

Offline momofella-grace

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 16:56:30 pm »
Hi there, sorry no advice just wanted you to know my little one has been doing this for about a month now so if you have any success i would love to know! I cant understand it as she was sleeping for 12 hours solidly. Hope you have some luck soon. Lisa

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 21:05:15 pm »
Tinytatsmom, I think maybe she has too long an awake time from the 1pm nap to bedtime... assuming the last feed at 7pm is just before bed. my ds #2 (almost 10mo) naps at 9.30 & 1.30 (most of the time) & they are roughly 1hour & 2 hours long. If he wakes up before 3pm, he has an earlier bedtime 2.30= 6.30pm... As I know 4 hours is his ABSOLUTE max & even then I can be pushing it not to have a grumpy baby & night waking. Most of the 9mo I know tend to be more like 10am & 2pm for naps.

For an 9mo, the "average awake time is 3 hours, so really you want to try to limit to that, maybe one can be longer (usually the last one)
Also by 9months & 3 solid meals & 2 naps a 4 hour Easy isn't really all that important. All you want to aim for is making sure a milk feed doesn't become a prop & that they are getting regular feeds

Our day is (adjusted to fit my 2.5 yo day)
7.15 ish solids & bf
10.30 (after nap) milk from a sippy & a cracker
12.30 - lunch solids with water
3.30pmish (after nap if earlier/later) bf + fruit jelly
6pm dinner solids
6.45pm bf
7pm bed
I set up this routine to fit my toddlers needs & my local health nurse said it was close to what she recommends from 9months.

By 9months it is about calorie intake rather than the regualar, but not too regular feeds when just on milk... EASY is a concept really that most benefits up to the stage of getting to 3 solid meals & from my own experience with 2, doing 4hourly feeds & solids at this age just makes it too hard to have the naps in the right place & that is more important.

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline momofella-grace

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2006, 12:03:11 pm »
hi there, ive had a slight improvement with wakenings at 1.30am and 5.30 which is more manageable. i think this may be to do with the 5pm snooze, if she doesnt have it then its back to 1.3hr wakings!

Offline Katet

• Sydney Australia
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 21:09:20 pm »
Yes an overtired baby will wake more often, with both my ds's I didn't drop the catnap until around 8-9months
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05