Author Topic: Amount of formula for a newborn  (Read 1181 times)

Offline mommytonathan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2006, 18:53:31 pm »
We just got home last week with our DS (1 week old yesterday).  The second night we were home all he wanted to do was eat.  Being new inexperienced parents we called the hospital's "warm line" where the put you into contact with a nurse who can try to help.  She told us that we had fed him too often and that we need to stop, put him in his crib and let him cry it out.  Now after all the reading I have done I know this is not the route to go.  Now DH is totally concerned that we are overfeeding him.  He's eating 2 - 2.5oz per feeding about every 2.5 - 3 hours, sometimes he wants to eat more often and sometimes he sucks down the bottle and is still looking for more.  What is your opinion on overfeeding?  I've read through and it looks like the average is 2.5oz per lb.  He was 9lbs 2oz when he was born.  We are having some difficult times trying to get him to sleep and I think it might just be hunger. 

Offline Lªuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Ages and Amounts of Formula
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 19:08:31 pm »
Hi and welcome to the board  ;D

Congratulations to you and welcome to mummy-hood  ;) What did you call him?

My DS wanted to eat all night as well, there is nothing wrong with that at all. To put it in perspective my friend had a baby 6 weeks ago and for the 1st 3 or 4 weeks she feed every hour morning and night, she is now I am glad to say every 3 hrs.

Please don't let your LO cry it out and there is no way you can over feed a baby, your LO would spit it up again. Please don't worry. Your intuition is the best guide, he needs to eat, sleep and be held at the moment.

If you need more advise just ask us again.
Lauren x
Lauren x

Offline mommytonathan

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 19:33:07 pm »
Thank you for the quick response.  This was my instinct, and I'm now thinking I should have never let DH call the hospital.  We named him Nathan.  :)

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
Re: Ages and Amounts of Formula
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 19:49:54 pm »
Your son is big to begin with, and there is no way ANYONE can tell you how much is the proper amount to feed your child, other than your child! If you offer it and your son wants it and drinks it, he is telling you it is what he needs.

Too many health care professionals want to lump our children into set standards or boxes, and it's just not practical.  As for CIO, I personally think that is terribly cruel, ESPECIALLY for a 1 week old!!  He just came into this world, and the nurse wants you to leave him to fend for himself already??  Please.  He needs to have his needs met, and that is the only way he can communicate them to you.

I'm very glad that you trusted your instinct on that one!! 

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NATHAN!!!!  (love the name!! ;))
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Amount of formula for a newborn
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 01:54:35 am »
I totally agree with Tonya their is so much emphases on formula tins and what PROFESSIONALS say about how much babies should have it makes me so angry. At 1 week old we were feeding DD every 3 hours at this stage i was expressing and topping up with formula so she would get nearly 2oz of expressed and the same of formula. This then went to approx 3oz when i stopped expressing and by week 2 we were letting her go for as long as she wanted to at night. If your baby is hungry feed it and i agree please don't let him cry at this age. Just think if you were breastfeeding you would let him suck until he had enough.
My DD from 2 months never had the amounts specified on the formula tin as she put herself on 4 hour EASY and sleeping through the night so only having 4 bottles.
Good luck with your new baby and just enjoy, i made myself sick worrying whether DD was drinking enough and now i have stopped worrying  ;)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006, 03:50:09 am »
Totall normal!!  Mine did 2oz every 2 hrs around the clock for the first couple of weeks.  Then she went to 2.5 every 2.5.    ::)  Silly Mouse.  Welcome to our world!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 04:13:21 am »
I agree with all the feeding advice posted, go with your instincts.  DS had major colic starting at about 2 weeks old, so I did a lot of reading and research (when he wasn't crying - ha!)  I came across information about colic and cow's milk protein allergy.  I called and talked to a nurse also and she assured me this was very rare and my son was just "communitcating" with me.  Guess what.....he has the allergy.  I knew something was wrong and he was crying too much.  Go with your gut, and welcome to BW!!

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*