Author Topic: when to start solids?  (Read 1110 times)

123eve

when to start solids?
« on: March 16, 2006, 07:43:33 am »
My lo of 20 weeks is breastfed and although she has had a bad cold for the last couple of weeks and has not been sleeping very well.  When wakening every 3 hours at night she is hungry and not looking for comfort.  There are no problems in waiting for feeds through the day and seems settled. So is it time to introduce solids or does she just need more because she has been unwell?

Please help
Thanks

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: when to start solids?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 07:50:37 am »
it is best to give your routinue,

123eve

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 08:05:21 am »
Our routine is:

Wakes at about 5.30 - small feed and plays in cot
6am - get up and do activity
 E   7am - feed
 A  7.30 - activity
 S  8.30 - short sleep in cot as never naps long
 A  9.10ish - activity
 E  10.00 - feed
 A 10.30 - activity
 S 12.00 - long sleep in pram
 E 2.00  - feed
 A 2.30 - activity
 E 5pm - feed
 S 5.30 - short sleep in pram
 A 6.00 - Activity wind down and bath
 E 6.30 - feed
A 7pm bed
E 10.30pm feed
E 3.30am - feed She only used to feed once but now feeds 2-3 times after 10.30pm

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 08:59:21 am »
i am really sure you will get more replies, i start solids a week before 6 months old, because here in australia it is only reccomended to start solid after 6 months i would not say you should start but most started at between 4 and 6 months, is the 10.30 is a dream fed? or does you dd wake for this, at this age i still fed dd when ever she woke, it wasn't until after 6 months that i started to stop these feeds, have you read tracy's book(s), it really helped me in all aspects of parenting, also try reading as many other post similar to yours this should also help, hoping you get more replies soon, keep posting

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 14:43:43 pm »
When the site was a bit nutty earlier, this got posted on here, instead of what was supposed to.

Please see post below.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 23:45:02 pm by daisymelan »
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 14:48:45 pm »
In Canada it is also recommended that you only start solids around the 6th month bday.  

It's hard to say but it looks like your lo is getting enough milk during hte course of 24 hours.  It's quite common for los to still need a feed during the night at your los age.  Sometimes solids end up making the lo wake up more because of digestive issues, etc.  It's up to you of course whether you decide to offer solids or not.  But remember, in the beginning, they aren't actually getting many cals from it.  It's more just to get them used to it, so it wouldn't likely fill them enough to have them go through the night.

HTH
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

123eve

Re: when to start solids? Update
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006, 15:21:32 pm »
She is still waking as often during the night but it appears to be more for comfort now as she is only on for a few mins then straight back to sleep.  Hoping she drops these soon as last night she was up 6 times and only fed properly twice.