Author Topic: when did you lo give up the last nap?  (Read 1897 times)

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
when did you lo give up the last nap?
« on: March 16, 2006, 09:18:23 am »
hello, i am sure these question have been ask before but can you answer anyway?

when did you lo give up the last nap? did they ever refuse a nap? and if how long did you try and put them down for? and how? and what did you do afterwards?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Re: when did you lo give up the last nap?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 19:49:07 pm »
Do you mean stop napping completely?  If so maybe I should move your post to toddler sleep?

From what i have read 3yrs old I think is when they normally give up that noonish time nap.  I think you should continue to offer the nap and give them at least 1hr to take the opportunity to sleep.  You can't force them to sleep, you can only offer the opportunity should they want to take it.

HTH!

Offline Sylvia.

• Showing Appreciation 232
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 22:24:02 pm »
yes i mean stop napping completely

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 22:35:13 pm »
Aiden at almost 32 months is still napping 1.5-2 hours a day (10.5-11.5 overnight) & I think (hope) he will be well past 3 by the time he stops... he only went to 1 nap at 21 months. BUT my niece gave up day time naps a few weeks after she turned 2 yo... as did one of the boys near us. Most books say naps continue through until 3yo & even 5yo in some cases.
I notice Aiden will often not ask for them anymore, but when I suggest he willingly goes & has a good one. I do think they go through "refusal stages" from time to time.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Gigismom

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 22:46:44 pm »
i know that we have gone through nap refusal stages also.  currently we are still on 2 naps, but for a while there, she was refusing the first nap and taking only one... :-\  but i kept offering her the am nap, and finally she started taking it again.  so i think it may be worth a try to keep offering for a few weeks or when your lo seems tired.

my friend's little girl just turned 3 and is starting to refuse her nap.  but she still needs quiet time, so my friend has her go sit in her room on her bed and read books quietly.  she said that sometimes she will just read the books for 20-30 mins and come out refreshed.  other times my friend gets lucky and her dd will fall asleep for a while.

Offline Izzy-B's mommy

• Showing Appreciation 31
    • http://www.thinline.ca
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 01:11:22 am »
Isabella went down to one nap at around 13months.  It just fell into place for us really and she naps between 2.5-3 hours.    She does have days where she doesn't nap as well (when she's at the babysitters = usually about 1.5hours)
when she's at home and won't settle if I feel she's getting too excitted (she tends to talk alot ::))  or if she starts to cry, I'll go in and retuck her and tell her it's naptime.  And, I leave her in there until her nap should be done (or close to it)   I've always done that so on those days where she doesn't nap as well, she just knows she stays in there and has her quiet time.     
She went through a little something not long ago and for about 2 weeks wasn't napping well... but, she's back to normal so I'm summing it up to teeth!

Hope something I said helps...

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 15:31:45 pm »
My older dd was 4 1/2 when she gave up her nap!!We had to restrict it to 1 hour since about age 3 or she would go to bed too late.  She's always been a super sleeper though.  Wish I could say the same for her younger sister ::)!

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 23:36:10 pm »
Charlotte has just recently dropped her nap completely - but i'm not convinced that she doesn't still need at least a short nap - just after lunch.

DH is currently on leave for 2 weeks, so he's at home with Charlotte, I got home at about 5.15pm this evening and he said she'd just been asking to lay down on the sofa so that she could have a snooze, but mummy coming home took her mind off being sleepy.  However, come bedtime, she's overtired, and tonight was a little monster, she didn't want to say goodnight to daddy, then she wanted mummy to carry her upstairs, but i'm struggling today with bump and bh contractions, so she had a complete paddy, didn't want to calm down, insisted that she doesn't like her big bed and that she wanted to sleep in her cot.  So that's where she is, that's the only place she'd settle - at about half 9, after taking her up to bed at 8!  ::).

Not sure how I can get her to have a nap - she really really fights it, screams if we try to put her down, but if she's overtired in the evening ...

What fun hey!
Rach xx

Offline Mum of girl, boy, boy

• Showing Appreciation 26
  • From UK living in Western Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 19:31:42 pm »
Glad you posted this. Will be looking out for more responses.

My dd is 21 months. In my eyes she still needs more than 2 hours but we are stuck getting her pass the 1 hour 30 stage and she can wake up really grumpy. I feel that she is over tired. I am in the process of trying to move the nap forward. Today she only slept 1 hr 30 but woke up happy. Yippie.

I'll keep a look out.

Best Wishes

J
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309959.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309974.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://newtickers.bump-and-beyond.com/30/3099/309963.png[/img]

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006, 20:50:44 pm »
Ryan went through the refusal stage too ! what a nightmare , he was the same , he was overtired by 5pm , a total gump and getting upset over the slightest little thing. we still tried to take him for a nap everyday ,if he lay there and played we left him , at least he was relaxing. he soon went back to napping. Ryan is in a big bed but thankfully has never tried to get out .
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline cjwagner77

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 12:39:39 pm »
My dd is only 19 months so we are a long way from giving up naps all together.  But even when she no longer sleeps during nap time, I am going to insist that she have some quiet time in her room.  She could play quietly with her dolls or read books.  But she will be required to stay in her bed for an hour.  We both need a break during the day. 

We still have occasional days of a second quiet time.  We switched to one nap about 13 months.  She had some days that by about 4pm she was a bear.  So I would put her in her crib and tell her that she didn't have to go to sleep.  She could play with her animals or read her books.  But she needed some quiet time and I would be back soon.  Most days she readily accepted.  We still have some days that she is so tired she needs a little extra downtime.

Crystal
Proud Mama to Katy

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 13:23:52 pm »
Ella (3.5) still naps quite often - probably 4 days out of 7. When she doesn't nap she has a quiet time on the sofa cuddling her dolls or looking at books herself - so I am still able to crack on with all the jobs. To be honest, if she does nap she's still raring to go at 9pm so it suits me better when she doesn't, as she's then in bed by 7.30.

I think Jack will be a lot younger when he drops his - he fights going upstairs already, and will sometimes be singing and shouting for up to an hour when he's in his cot. Yesterday he took so long to get to sleep I had to wkae him up after 15 mins cos we had to go to Ella's dance class - and he seemed fine for the rest of the day on 15 mins!
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Mariek

• Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 13:34:16 pm »
Grace stopped her afternoon nap completely a month or so ago (she's 27 mths). She still has one on rare occasions (like if she's had a really busy morning) but mostly she gets all her sleep overnight which suits us all much better. She goes down at 7pm and gets up around 8am.

love

Marie