Author Topic: How long did it take....  (Read 1059 times)

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« on: March 16, 2006, 11:59:18 am »
for your toddler to get used to his/her big bed?  We put our 22 month old (now 23 months) in the bed and she just isn't used to it.  This morning was the first time that she escaped from it.  How do you handle hwen they escape?  Do you let them play with stuffed animals or give them a few books to read or do you put them back to bed?  We have the door closed so she can't escape from the room.

Offline ryan's mum

• Showing Appreciation 374
  • North Wales U.K
Re: How long did it take....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 22:51:19 pm »
our son loved his big boy bed from the very first night ! we put him in the bed at 15 months as he had associated his cot with reflux pain. he started to scream every night so we just moved him early . to our amazement he took to it really well . also at this age he was only bottom shuffling , so it made everything really easy. he couldn't get out of bed , we had a guard at the side and his cot matress on the floor incase he fell out. we have been really lucky as he never gets out of bed.
  i think you are ment to put them straight back in bed if they do get up and follow you , you keep doing it and the supposedly get bored !
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/tickers/tdb.php?tid=1032165&ignore=1[/img]Ryan James 9 Nov 2003

[img width= height=]http://lafemmebonita.com/blinkies//Pregnancy%20and%20Babies/ILoveMySon.gif[/img]

son , I may have silver in my hair but you are the gold in my heart .

Offline rach

• Showing Appreciation 322
Re: How long did it take....
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 22:58:24 pm »
We made the move from cot to big bed at the weekend and a couple of nights ago Charlotte realised that she could actually get out of the bed and come into our bedroom.  As it was nearly get up time, it wasn't really an issue, but the next night, I closed her bedroom door and our bedroom door.  Last night she managed to open her door, but couldn't do ours and knocked on the door (this was about 5 am), I'm sorry to say that as DH is away at the moment, I was too shattered to deal with taking her back and then her getting up again and again, so I took her back to bed with me (bad I know).  But, she was told tonight before I tucked her in, that she has to stay there all night and that she can't come into my bed tonight.

If she does get up, then she'll go back into her bed.  If things don't improve over the weekend, i'll look at moving the stair gate so that its across her bedroom door, that way, she can't wander about and hopefully will get the message to settle herself back down again in her bed.

Let us know how you get along.

Rachel xx
Rach xx

Offline Duckie

• Showing Appreciation 183
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 20:03:41 pm »
We put Andrew in his BBB at 2.5 yrs.  We had a bed rail on one side and the other was against the wall.  It took him a year before he figured out that he could actually get out of bed on his own (prior to that he would sit on his bed and call for us).
Mother Duck to A (June/01), J (April/06), my sleeping S (2/Dec/03) and my nameless angels (1/July/04; 2/Nov/04; 13/July/05)