Author Topic: Bananas? Taste?  (Read 1405 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Bananas? Taste?
« on: March 16, 2006, 13:36:40 pm »
So my DD had a late start with solids due to tummy issues. She's finally eating peaches but we can't do cereals and had some problems with pears and avocado (rash) and with carrots (constipation). We are now wanting to try banana as we've heard that a very ripe banana can act as a mild laxative and also a natural antacid (she has reflux issues).

So I bought some ripe organic bananas to try. She didn't like it mashed up - too lumpy so I pureed with a small amount of formula. She still didn't like taste - shivered and made faces and pushed spoon away. I mixed a little peaches (jarred) into it and that helped a bit but not much. Finally got her to eat some by alternating spoons of peach and banana. Should I keep trying? Should I try pureeing the fresh banana with a little jarred peaches (instead of formula) tomorrow morning? Any other ideas?

TIA.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Sarah J

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
Re: Bananas? Taste?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 14:11:08 pm »
my lo hated banana too the first few times he had it so i mixed it with foods he did like (apples, plums and pears) like you have tried and now he does love it... he will eat a whole one on its own!!!!   unfortunately it didn't work with avocado as despite mixing that with other foods he still wont eat it.   my friend said her lo has a love hate relationship with bananas.  my advise would be to maybe offer small amounts mixed with other foods every now and again because i heard that babies need to have been presented with a food ten to fifteen times before they will establish a true like or dislike.

good luck!!

PS, i heard that bananas can constipate..... !!!????
Sarah

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 14:37:05 pm »
Thanks Sarah - will try again tomorrow morning and mix/blend with some peach puree. As for constipation, what my SIL's Ped told her (and I also saw on some web sites) is that a very ripe banana can act as a mild laxative, whereas less ripe ones or jarred ones will constipate - like they work both ways? don't know if that's true but...
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline mum of 2

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • South Wales, UK
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 08:55:59 am »
Hi Karen,

As far as Ive been told bananas are a miracle fruit and can work either way.  The can bind babies up when they have the runs and also work as a laxative when constipated.  Weird but im pretty sure this is all true.  It is a very good fruit to start with though.  My dd had reflux diagnosed when she was 1 week old and has just finally started recovering!  She is 14 months now but has stopped being sick and having pain for a month now!  So fingers crossed thats the end of it.  With her reflux being so severe in the past she has been in and out of hospital so many times this has knocked out her routine sleepwise and also feeding-wise.    She is now eating very well even though shes STILL not taking lumpy foods.  She is great with finger foods but as soon as I give her lumpy then she gags and looks like she is going to choke.  Anyway, I found that I pureed banana and mixed it in with Petit Filou (yoghurt) and this she loved, You can also add any kind of pureed fruit to weetabix, porridge or cereal and that is a good way to get your lo used to the taste and also its goodness.  If your lo will eat the pureed fruit without it being mixed then great but I found that my lo preferred it mixed, although now she will eat a piece as finger food.  But she is older than your lo.  How many months is she?

I would also be interested to know if you had problems with feeding due to the reflux?  I did, it seems to have delayed her going onto solids with a lumpy consistency.  Weird isn't it!  Let me know your thoughts and good luck with the banana, hope ive helped.

xxxx Alison
mum of 2 (3 if you include my partner)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:50:23 am »
Hi Allison. Sorry to hear you had such a rough bout with reflux and I hope your DD is definitely on the mend and doesn't look back!

We had a delayed start overall with solids and find that DD reacts to many foods. We may end up having to go the allergy testing route. And yes, I think lumpy will be a big problem for us too - will just be happy if she goes from purees to finger foods!

Can't do yogurt (dairy issue) or cereals (digestive issue) so for now I'm limited to just mixing the banana with other fruits. I guess this morning I'll puree some fresh/ripe banana with her jarred peaches and see if she'll eat that...

Offline * Paula *

• Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 09:14:42 am »
Hi Karen / Alison,

Yes I have been told too that bananna is a miracle fruit.  To be honest my lo has been prone to constipation, and when he was in hospital the nurse told us about banana being a miracle fruit.

I now offer DS some bananna every day and this seems to help him go.

Good luck.

Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007