Author Topic: help help help  (Read 1135 times)

Offline Ziggy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 16, 2006, 23:53:27 pm »
Im wondering if you can give me some advice as Im getting extremely confused, my LO is 8 weeks on sunday and I have had him on the EASY routine for 1 week, he was 7ib 10oz when born makes Im breastfeeding he makes heaps of wet nappies poos regularly and is getting bigger and bigger everyday. The last day have looked like this, I have really been sticking to the feeding times for the 3 hour Easy in the day as have a hard time reading my bubs cries:
E - 6.45 - 6.50 (my LO has always been efficient eater cant put him back on for longer has he gets angry)
A - 6.50 - 7.05 then tired signs
S - 7.25 - 10.10 (I had to wake him)
E - 10.10   
A - 10.20 - 10.50
S - 10.50 - 13.00 (again have to wake)
E - 13.00
A - went to gymbaroo class
S - Cat napped in car
E - 16.00
A - non cranky and yawning
S - 16.15 - 17.20 ( woke him in case he wont sleep tonight
E - 18.00
A - 18.10 - 18.30
S - cat nap
E - 20.00 then bed

The last week has kind of resembled this now at night time, last night I dream fed at 10.00 and he woke up at 1.30 and 4.30 the night before I dream fed at 22.50 and he woke up at 02.30 the night before that I forgot to set alarm for dream feed and he went from 20.00 till 03.00 then round till 07.00 do you think this was just a one of because it seems to me that when I do dream feed he reverts back to 3 hour routine and before I started EASY I was only getting up twice not 3 times. I understand that I can expect to get up with him but not every 3 hours when he was doing longer stints before. Almost want to try not dream feeding him again to see how he goes but not sure.

My other question is because he feeds for such a short time our total awake time is only 20 mins then he runs the risk of sleeping for about 2 1/2 hours each nap and I thought they where only supposed to sleep 4 1/2 hours in the day.

Also he his 8 weeks on sunday and Im supposed to turn his 2 cluster feeds to one what time should that be and can you give me example of what evening should look like. Sorry for all the questions just finding it all a bit of a puzzle.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: help help help
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:43:49 am »
Congrats on your new lo!  Looks like you are doing a great job!  {{{HUGS}}} to you!  Take a deep breath, and lets look at your day.
I'll make some suggestions, but just remember that they are suggestions and might not work, and might not suit your family.
I don't think he necessarily has his days and nights mixed up, which is usually solved by 8 weeks anyway, so his night wakings must be due to something else.  You said that you thought babies should only have 4.5 hrs of day sleep, but just remember that every baby is extremely different.  If you are trying to stick more closely to a 3 hr routine, then I would try to wake him before he is due for a feed at approximately 3 hrs.  If he seems very tired, give him a few more minutes, but try not to let him sleep more than 2.5 hrs at a time.  Doing so could possibly rob night time sleep.
As for consolidating the cluster feeds, you could try a feeding routine such as:  7am, 10am, 1pm, 4pm, 7pm, then bed, and df at 10pm if you like.  If you think the df is disrupting his night sleep, you do not have to give it.  It is merely a tool with the potential of ending night feeds.  It is common to have night feeds for a bit longer, especially when bfing I believe.  IF you are more comfortable with no df and letting him wake when he's hungry, then you should do that.
Remember, you do not have to "go by the book."  You should adjust things to your baby's needs.  Sometimes I think we get too caught up in what "should" be and ignore what is, and "what is" is what we have to work with.
HTH, keep up posted.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Ziggy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 02:27:59 am »
  Thank you for your quick response and encouragement it always makes you feel better.  That is a big help.  I think I may try cutting out dream feed again tonight my only concern is do you think the constant changing to his nightime routine will get him confused and is it normal for some babies to get disturbed by dream feed? I have always feed 3 hourly and wake him if he starts going over that time frame.  I find if he has all these night time feeds as well he ends up doing a massive poo which we sometimes find as a nice present all over his little legs in the morning or he appears to have tummy ache the next morning until he has done his poo, where as if I dont feed him as frequently at night this doesnt seem to happen.  Im sure you really wanted to know that I guess what Im trying to say is that he seems to be happier in the morning if he doesnt constantly wake at night for feeds.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
Re: help help help
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 13:50:33 pm »
Some babies don't take to a df well at all.  It is possible that they are disturbed by it and can't resettle for the rest of the night.  If you feel he'll sleep better without it, don't give it.  As for changing his routine, well, he's going to change it himself alot for the first year, and babies adapt well.  I don't think you can necessarily do anything wrong.  Besides, it's alot of trial and error to find what's right for him anyway.  Just remember to give about 3-4 to see if something is working or not.  Change won't happen overnight, and that is true for any sleep training you encounter.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007