Author Topic: not enough milk/calcium?  (Read 2868 times)

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 254
Re: not enough milk/calcium?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 21:04:22 pm »
My dd is also not that keen on milk.  She still nurses in the morning and night, and will drink probably less than 8 oz of milk in a day.  She does really like the drinkable yogurt, which I mix with milk to cut the sugar, and vanilla soymilk which I also mix with milk.

The one issue you might have with using soymilk exclusively (you can mix it with plain soymilk to cut the sugar, too) is the lack of cholesterol.  Until 24 months, toddlers need cholesterol in their diets for myelin (which coats the neurons in the brain) development.  But, if he's eating lots of cheese and some eggs here and there, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.  People who raise their kids vegan (giving them no animal products whatsoever) are often advised to nurse until age 2 or older so that the child gets enough cholesterol in the diet.  B12 isn't a problem unless you are raising your baby vegetarian (which I am), as there is plenty of B12 in meat.  Eggs and dairy also contain B12, but in smaller amounts.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Lan

Re: not enough milk/calcium?
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2006, 01:50:53 am »
We are not vegetarian but my son only eats meat/eggs about once every 3 days - so I'm glad to know that he's getting his B12 requirement from his 500mls of milk daily. I also try to use a lot of butter (not margarine) on his toast and in his mashed potatoes and give him lots of cheese (he won't eat yoghurt anymore) as he is underweight for his height. I was recently diagnosed as B12 deficient myself so I'm a bit worried that he may have missed out when I was breastfeeding him, especiailly since his development was a bit peculiar. The paediatrician saw him at 12 months and wanted him back at 2 but now he's reassured me that it's all OK - but I still worry!