Author Topic: Sleepy Baby  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Sherri123

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleepy Baby
« on: March 18, 2006, 13:36:22 pm »
Hi everybody im new to this so please  help ...my Ethan is breast fed and its sooo hard to keep him awake during his feeds im trying to do the easy routine but this dream feed is almost impossible...i have to wake him up or he just wont eat at all!!! im having a hard time to get him to eat 3 oz ...hes 8 wks old,born Jan 18th 2 wks early but they assesed him at about 36 wks when he was born so do i treat him as a premie or not???he weighed 6.75oz at birth and now weighs 10.1 oz ..We had a doctors appt on friday and he said everything is ok(though his weight is in the 25%)Hes somtimes very gassy and upset when hes feeding, so along with being sleepy it takes sometimes 1 hr to feed him.Somtimes when its time to have some activite there is just no way hell wake up WHAT DO I DO ???Hes still waking up at 200 and 600am will i ever get some SLEEP  ???
Sherri

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Re: Sleepy Baby
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 14:55:04 pm »
{{{{{hugs}}}}}

Hi Sherri,

Is your lo breast or bottlefed?  You are talking about how many ozs he's taking so I think he may be bottlefed. 

And don't worry, it's quite common for a lo to be waking up twice a night at that age.  Sleep is hard to come by in the first little while, but it will get better.

This is the breastfeeding forum, so let me know about if your little one is using bottles or not and I will either answer or redirect your post.

Hang in there.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 15:10:21 pm »
Poor you! First of all I want to tell you that the charts our babies are measured on are based on the averages of formula fed babies. Formula is harder to digest than BM and therefore takes longer to get through babies system, as a result they absorb more calories and more often than not grow at a higher rate than BF infants. So don't take too much notice of charts and what the doctors say ab out them. If your LO has plenty of wet nappies then he is eating enough.  As for wether to treat him as a premie, his weights seem fine. My son was 10days early and we never treated him as one so personally unless your advised otherwise I wouldn't.

Some babies are very sleepy when they nurse this is because BM contains dopamine which makes them sleepy. I know its hard in the beginning but it will get better. Try playing with his hand whilst he is nursing or talking to him in a loud voice, I found when my LO was new if I saw he was about to nod off I could wake him up again by unlatching him and sitting him up. He got cross because he wasn't getting milk anymore but it had the desired affect.

Regarding night wakings I'm afraid these might carry on for a while yet, but as you get used to being a mum and the nursing go down to once a night it will get easier. I know it easy to say but you shud try and nap when he does  :)

Have you tried any form of meds for his wind? I'm not sure what country your in but I found gripe water was great or you could try infacol, different remedies seem to work for different babies so give a few a try if you haven't allready.

Lastly try not to get too worked up about routines, its very hard in the beginning but you'll find as he gets a little older he'll fall into the pattern with a gentle nudge. I wasn't on a great easy schedule for at least three months and then it just feel into place one day and now we are doing great. Try and relax and enjoy your son, believe me it goes fast!

HTH

:)
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06

Offline Sherri123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 15:19:04 pm »
Hi again, hes breastfeeding but, dh is trying to give him his last feed of the night by bottle..around 1030or1100pm..he usually starts out pretty good (when we wake him up..take his pjs off, a wet cloth ,rub his palms ect..)but then guess what, he gets sleepy pretty quick ....im hoping someday he will snap out of this sleepyness...hes been like this all along ,the lady at the breastfeeding clinic said i must have a lot of patients ...im not so sure some times...i feel like ill never see outside again ha ha   ..
Sherri

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 15:37:25 pm »
You will see the outside again.  Trust me, we have all been there for different reasons.  It sounds like you are doing great, and the other poster left some great advice. 

You can also try breast compressions and diaper changes to keep him awake.

BTW, sounds like your lo is a good weight gainer. 

Hang in there!!
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Sherri123

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 16:00:35 pm »
Hi ,sometimes i think i worry way to much... :-\thanks for the nice words its good to here it from somebody else..Can you tell im a first time mom !!When something goes wrong it kind of freaks me out i guess..thks again
Sherri

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 17:19:53 pm »
LOL, I think we are all guilty of worrying and over analysing everything our LO's do  ;) Your LO sounds great so just relax and enjoy him while he is still small. Persevere with your BFing it is so worth it with all the great benifits it has for both you and your LO (not that I am biased  ;) )
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06