Author Topic: 9 mo old waking due to illness / teething and refusing to go back to her cot  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Shine

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
My dd is 9.5 months old and has previsouly slept through 7-7am, but unfortunately since december she seems to be permanatly ill, colds, ear infections, chest infections, eye infrections and teething and it has been months since she slept through.

At the moment she is waking because of teething and even once we have given her Calpol (paracetmol) we struggle to get her back to bed in her own cot.  This was last night...

Bed at 7.30pm
Awake at 12.15, took 1/2 hour to calm down from absolute histerics and pain med.  She then kept settle to sleep in my arms and evertime we we near the cot she screamed.  Fianlly I got her down at 1.30, she only sleep for 10 mins. Then i settled her in her cot and she slept for only 45 mins and was then back to histerical.

And this is where we are going wrong, she ended up in our bed, because we are so exhausted and we do not like seeing her upset when she is ill. she went to sleep quickly then.

She the woke at 5.45am, so we gave more pain meds and cuddle her back to sleep with us. She then slept until 8am.

this is the main question.  Do I try to always settle her in her own cot, even if she is ill?

Thanks

Jo-FrasersMum

Hi there

I was given the advice early on to do what you need to do when your LO is sick and then get back on track once they are feeling better. 

My "mummy instinct" feels like that is right.

Good luck and hope your DD is feeling better soon
Jo

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Having just gone through 6 weeks with an on off sick baby, it can take up to an hour for pain meds to work & throw in the "age of separation anxiety" when they feel rotten all they want is Mummy... The other day I "celebrated" as ds was almost back to normal.
My SIL says "you have a routine so you have something to fall back on once you break it to comfort them when they are sick"  ;)... so if you know she really isn't well do what you need to but only as long as ABSOLUTELY necessary... I prefer to sleep in ds's room... have a spare bed in there (for when we move him out of the cot) & I sleep there with him rather than in our bed... did the same with ds#1
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline colenliam

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
I agree with both replies.
I feel when lo's are sick what they really need to get better is us; Mommy/Daddy.  But alsop know that we know best and shoukd do whatever is comfortable for ourselves.
When ever thing is over, you can always go back to regular, will probably take a bit, but you won't have to feel bad about it cause you know that they are no longer sick.
With teething for us, it has been 1 tooth right after another since 6 months(now 8 months)so nothing really changed as ds I geuss is used to it ???  But when he was sick with a cold, we did whatever made him feel better.  Tireing but hey.....
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80