Author Topic: schedule help needed for 6 month old  (Read 3856 times)

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
schedule help needed for 6 month old
« on: March 18, 2006, 16:48:14 pm »
 ??? Please can someone give me a rough guide of what schedules they have their 6 months old on? At the moment my LO is on a schedule as follows:

7.00am - bottle ( 3-8oz)
8.00am - breakfast - cereal/yoghurt/fruit
11.00am - bottle and solids ........ not taking alot of either here
3.00pm - solids
6.00pm - bottle (6-8oz)
6.10pm - bed
10.00pm - Dream feed

Several questions should i be spreading the bottle and solids out more ?
Need to drop the dream feed so that would only leave three bottles, is this enough?
Finding it difficult to get LO to take the recommended 500- 600ml of formula a day, what happens if intakes not enough?

And to top it off i think she might be teething!!!!!
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: schedule help needed for 6 month old
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 18:24:04 pm »
Hi Kezia, quickie reply nearly tea-time  :)

Wake 7 (although recently waking at 5am ish  Shocked, but we put him back to sleep)
E 0730 7/8oz
   0815 cereal & fruit (mostly fruit; 3 small icecubes, today he had kiwi, apple and mango with 2 teaspoons of heinz baby porridge, he hates it but I use it to thicken the fruit, he can handle a small amount)

E 1200 6/7oz
   1245 Veggies 4 icecubes, big or small - will introduce yogurt & fruit for dessert here soon, up until  recently his tea was yogurt and fruit but I am moving it.

E 1600/1630 6/7oz
   1645 Veggies & meat. I have only tried bolognese, chicken & turkey so far and he loves them.

E 1900 10/12oz bottle
no d/f

I refer to big & small ice cubes, big ones are normal sized ices cubes and small ones are IKEA sized icecubes, in the shape of hearts and polo mints. IYKWIM. Wink

The meat I use;
Chicken & Turkey is from Heinz 'mums own' jars, these are the only jars I have bought as like you I make my own stuff. The cod was disgusting, I complained about it.
Bolognese was made in a separate pan from mine. No salt was added, but it has mince, onion, garlic, bay leave, oregano, passatta, puree, etc in it as normal. It is a bit grainy blended down so it is good mixed with veggies.

I find that he needs 30oz + 3 meals now or he is hungry at night. He now weighs 17lb 6.5oz, he is 71cm long and I think the food goes to his height rather than width  Tongue Roll Eyes  I also give him some formula in a sippy cup if he is struggling to finish a bottle, no more than 2oz or its too heavy.

From next week I will give him follow-on milk to keep his iron levels up and I have bought ReadyBrek and Weetabix for breakfast, I still intend to mix with fruit.

Several questions should i be spreading the bottle and solids out more ?
Need to drop the dream feed so that would only leave three bottles, is this enough?
Finding it difficult to get LO to take the recommended 500- 600ml of formula a day, what happens if intakes not enough?

And to top it off i think she might be teething!!!!!

I feed DS every 4 to 4.5 hours - if you want to go a day or 2 following your LO then take a log so you can see how long between milk feeds.

Yes, 3 bottles is enough, Natasha has done it at 5 months (I will PM her and get her to reply to you too).

How much is your LO taking? Remember you can add formula to your solids, yogurts etc also have calcium in them.

HTH
Lauren x

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 19:40:35 pm »
Thanks so much for this, I am thinking about moving to three bottles a day as LO is not really interested in DF and if she does have it she is not really interested in bottles during the day, also she is so asleep at 10 we were struggling to get her to eat.

But if we go down to three bottles she will not be getting the recommended amount of milk.... She is already on follow on milk so her iron levels should be ok, that and her passion for spinach

Amelie loves yoghurts and will eat these no problem, this week i am going to start her on meat, with chicken and mince on the menu. Can LO have weetabix and Readybrek, i know it says so in Annabel Karmel book but wasnt sure about giving her wheat.

With regards to solids she is eating about 2 icecubes (normal sized) is this enough???

Weight wise she is tiny being in the 25th percentile but 95th percentile for height......

Amelie Grace's mum

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 20:06:18 pm »
Hi Kezia,

Yes as Calum's mum said my DD dropped her 4th bottle at 5 months and is also on 3 very good sized solid meals a day and we have just introduced a snack in the afternoon.

So our feeding schedule looks like this:

7.30am - Bottle 8ozs
8.15am - Breakfast cereal with yoghurt and 2oz milk
12pm - Lunch Fruit and custard
1pm - Bottle 7-8ozs
4pm - Snack biscuit
5pm - Dinner 3 vege, meat and sometimes pasta/rice. Usually whatever we are having.
6.30pm - Bottle 8ozs

So as you can see my DD gets about 24-26ozs milk a day plus custard and yoghurt and sometimes cheese in her dinner.
You will probably find your little one will drink more during the day when she drops the dreamfeed. I introduced weetbix at 7 months and my DD has had all meat except pork. Some days she has all her solids some days she fusses (teething  :( )
I hope this is helpful feel free to ask anymore questions you may have.
PS is also on the follow up formula since 6 months, good luck with it Calums Mum  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 20:11:54 pm »
Calums mum she has 2 icecubes of veggies and 2 icecubes of fruit. To Natasha, thanks so much for your schedule, i suppose she does get more milk in her yoghurt, cauliflower cheese etc....

Dropping DF tonight so will see how much she eats tomorrow.

Thanks once again
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline rhea

• Rhea Mom to Ella Marie
  • New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Ella Marie
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 21:27:36 pm »
Hi Ya DD is 1 week of 6 mts and this is hers

8am Baby Rice with friut and 7 oz bottle

12pm Baby food and fruit and 7oz bottle

4pm baby food and fruit and 7 oz bottle

7pm bottle and bed about 6 to 7 oz

df 4oz at 10pm i have reduced this she was taking 6oz

Hope this helps

Rhea Mum to Ella Marie

Rhea Mom to Ella Marie

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 21:34:33 pm »
Kezia Let us know how you get on, when you give her solids, does she seem like she wants more?
I was going to say before try and give the 2nd bottle a bit later if you can, she may not eat enough at 11am because she isn't hungry  ???
Lauren x

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 16:11:54 pm »
Thanks everyone for your advice. Dropped DF which has increased her hunger during the day- eating about 9oz bottle three times a day plus solids, still not interested in breakfast solids but i am sure we will tackle this.

unfortunately now she seems to be waking at 5.00am instead of 7.00am ...... a mothers work is never done!!!!! or easy !!!! just when you think you have the routine down...
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 16:38:21 pm »
Kezzia, DS is waking at 5am at th moment it is doing my head in, can't do anything about it at the moment as he has a cold and chest infection.  :-[
Lauren x

Offline Beam79

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 16:40:23 pm »
Sorry to but in-great to see your routines Luaren and Natasha...Can I be a pain and ask you to clarify when you fit naps in...am only just starting solds with my nearly 6 month old ds, and am worrying about when he will sleep with all the eating.....Thanks v much x

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 19:11:47 pm »
Calums mum, amelie has just got over her first illness and she is going through a development leap at moment..... She also is doing my head in..... hope it finishes soon
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2006, 19:55:52 pm »
Wake 0700
E 0730 7/8oz
   0815 cereal & fruit
A
S anywhere between 9 & 10am , usually 1.5 – 2hrs
A usually back to A, depending on nap.

E 1200 6/7oz
   1245 Veggies 4 ice-cubes, big or small + yogurt & fruit
A
S Could be 2 or 3 hours depends from when he woke from last nap – usually 1.5 -2hrs
A usually back to A, depending on nap.

E 1600/1630 6/7oz
   1645 Veggies & meat.
A
S catnap ONLY if he gets up early from his last nap before 3pm, he can manage to stay  awake from 3pm to bedtime @ 8pm.
A

E 1900 10/12oz bottle - split
A Bath 1920
E 1940 last part of feed
S in cot sleeping for 8pm.
no d/f

Big ice-cubes = standard size
Small ice-cubes = IKEA size

HTH’s
Lauren x

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 22:38:31 pm »
Wake 7am (usually but started waking at 6.30am teething i think or might not need 12hrs at night anymore)
7.30am - 8ozs bottle
8.15am - Cereal and yoghurt with 2ozs cows milk
9.30am - Sleep 1.5hrs don't let her go longer than 1.45mins
12pm - Lunch Fruit and Custard some formula in a cup slowly increasing amount at the moment 1.5ozs
1pm - 5ozs bottle
2/2.15pm - Sleep Usually 1.5hrs sometimes 1.45mins
4pm - Snack of arrowroot biscuit or some cheese drink of water
5pm - Dinner Veges and meat and sometimes pasta/rice depends what we are having
6.15pm - Bath
6.30/6.45pm - Bottle 8ozs
7pm - Bed for the night. 

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline MPalmer

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 17:07:21 pm »
Hello...

Early wake ups and confusion on solids has confused me too w/ my DS, who will be 6 mo's in 2 weeks.   I can't figure out why he's having early wake ups...maybe too much sleep during the day?   Also, we've been doing solids for a month now and we've been trying to figure out what to feed him so that his poop isn't so firm???   Have you got any advice for me cuz I've been driving myself batty trying to guess...   Here is our schedule

Early wake-up from 5:15 to 6:00 am...usually give up at 6:30 and BF.  (he usually falls asleep toward end of BF with the early wakeups)
A till 8:45 am
S 1.5 to 2 hrs  (have trouble w/ 40 min nap unless keep awake longer)

E BF around 11:30
E Solids 4 ice cubes of fruit (pears or papaya...or bananna if too loose BM/prunes for too firm BM)
A till 1-1:30
S 1.5 to 2 hrs

E BF around 3:00
E Solids around 5:00  4 ice cubes of veggie (sweet potato, butternut squash)
S Catnap 30 min...or 40 if had bad naps earlier

E Bottle of EBM 6 oz at 7:45, then bath, then bed

Questions...
1) why the early wake ups...been going on for almost 3 weeks.  We try to re-plug paci until 6:30 am.   
2)  he always acts like he wants more, more, more solids...but then isn't interested in BF...which does not help firm poop situation
3) he struggles to finish the 6 oz bottle of EBM at 7:45...is he getting enough during the day?

Sorry to interrupt on another person's topic...but it seems like my questions are similar.  Thanks for your advice!!!!
Michele - mom to Alex 10/3/05

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2006, 15:40:40 pm »
Hi
Questions...
1) why the early wake ups...been going on for almost 3 weeks.  We try to re-plug paci until 6:30 am.   
2)  he always acts like he wants more, more, more solids...but then isn't interested in BF...which does not help firm poop situation
3) he struggles to finish the 6 oz bottle of EBM at 7:45...is he getting enough during the day?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54820.0
Heres a link about laxative foods, for your poop situation.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=55926.0
heres on for early wakings (to be honest this is common at this stage, but the link may help)

Not sure about question 3, because you breast feed it is difficult to determine how much he gets, if he struggles it most likely means he is full  ???

You should put him back to sleep until you want to start your day. I.E, DS wakes at 0530/0600am sometimes and if he is moaning/fussing I leave him be, he re-settles himself - I was guilty of rushing in too quick and it wasn't teaching him independent sleep. I would then wake him at 7am if he was not already up.

HTH's, shout if you need more help  :)

Lauren x