Author Topic: Limited meal options due to allergies (and potential allergies)  (Read 982 times)

Offline kw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hi

I am allergic to a lot of foods and have food related eczema.  As a result I'm wary about introducing foods  to my daughter which I am allergic to.  Food I cannot eat include:

Dairy
Eggs
Nuts
Chicken
Bananas

My daughter is 10 months old and has slight eczema (mostly through rubbing of clothes I think but she also has patches on her arms and legs occasionally) which I think is aggravated by food.  Tomatoes and beef seem to be two examples which makes her eczema worse which makes it hard to cook quite a few recipes.  The lack of dairy means fish dishes are difficult to cook and tomatoes means virtually no pasta dishes.  She does like pasta though so I include it in vegetable dishes I make for her.

Does anyone have good recipes/ideas of what I can cook my daughter to give her a good varied diet?  She eats home made and jars and likes all other meats. 

Thanks very much,

Karen

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Limited meal options due to allergies (and potential allergies)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 13:34:38 pm »
Have you also checked out the recipe forum?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline IsaacMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 17:07:23 pm »
We are dairy, egg, beef and nut free as well.  I don't know whether you can have turkey or not (since you are allergic to chicken) but I have been using ground turkey as a substitute for ground beef.  It makes great meatloaf, hamburgers, etc.  Just last night I made stroganoff using ground turkey and rice noodles, no dairy.  Mmm!  It did use chicken broth though.  I'd be happy to send you any recipes I have, just PM me. 

Jenn - still breastfeeding
ds 12/04 - allergic to milk, eggs, beef, wheat, peas, avocado, zucchini, sweet potato, winter squash, spinach, tree nuts, sesame seeds. Also avoiding peanuts, sunflower seeds.

Offline kw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 16:32:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I have had a look at the recipes forum and have copied a few (such as cottage pie no tomatoes).

I do give her turkey as I am not allergic to it and in many recipes have subsituted turkey for chicken which seems to work okay. It is difficult though to make things taste nice without adding tomatoes or cheese!  She eats soya yoghurts so am thinking of adding soya cheese into some dishes to see if that works. 

I go back to work soon though so will have less time to cook but will try and make a few dishes at the weekend and freeze them for the next weekend.  Any recipes would be appreciated Isaacs Mom!

Karen