Author Topic: Any vegetarian ideas?  (Read 12228 times)

Offline zakfinbon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Any vegetarian ideas?
« on: March 20, 2006, 16:31:29 pm »
I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for baby recipes with protein for a vegetarian diet.  We haven't eaten red meat for almost 20 years but always ate chicken and fish, however, we have now stopped eating these as well.  I am a bit unsure as to what babies can have in their diet for protein.  She is just having veg at the moment.

Thanks

Offline J&Jsmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 28
  • South African living in England
    • Need to promote your baby-related business? Check out my website
Re: Any vegetarian ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 18:28:32 pm »
I've typed up three lentil dishes from the Gina Ford weaning book. All are supposedly suitable from 6 months up although I think the last one would be better suited for a slightly older child who doesn't mind lumps. The first recipe makes 4 - 6 servings, the last two make 6 - 8 servings. Happy cooking!

Red Lentil Savoury
3oz red lentils, rinsed
5oz parsnips, peeled and cubed
8oz carrots, peeled and cubed
12oz potato, peeled and cubed
1 pint home made vegetable stock or filtered water

Put the lentils and root veg into a saucepan with the stock or water. Bring to the boil, cover, then lower the heat and simmer gently for 40 mins or until the lentils are soft. Puree in a blender until smooth.

She suggests that as the baby gets older, try adding a pinch of ground tumeric, coriander and cumin to the recipe. you can also use butternut squash instead of parsnip or carrot

OR

Thick Lentil and Carrot Soup
1tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
200g red lentils
2 pints veg stock or filtered water

Heat oil in a large saucepan, add onion, carrots and garlic. Sweat for 3 -5 mins then add lentils and stock. Bring to the boil, then cover, lower heat and simmer for 30 to 35 mins. Puree till smooth.

Or

Vegetable shepherds pie

4oz unsalted butter
4oz leeks, trimmed, washed and finely chopped
1 red onion, finely chopped
6oz split red lentils
18floz home made veg stock or boiling filtered water
2 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
900g floury potatoes peeled and cut in chunks
3z mild cheddar cheese, finely grated

Melt 2 oz butter in a saucepan, add the leeks and onion and cook for about 8- 10 mins until softened
Add lentils and stir for 1-2 mins to cover the lentils in the fat.
Add the stock or water, bring to the boil, ,then reduce head, half cover with a lid and simmer for about 15 mins or until the lentils are soft, stirring occasionally.  (There should be a little free liquid, so stir over a high heat to drive off any excess. Cool slightly.

Remover the saucepan from the heat and stir in the tomatoes, herbs and lemon juice. Leave to cool. Meanwhile cook the potatoes in boiling water for 20 mins or until tender. Drain well, then mash until smooth. Beat in the remaining butter and the cheese.

Preheat the over to 200C. Spoon thevegetable and lentil mixture into a 2pint shallow over proof dish and level the surface. Spoon over the mashed potato. Bake for 20 - 25 mins until the topping is crisp and golden. To serve, leave to cool slightly, then mash with a fork.
Melissa
Mom to:
Joshua Charles Boleslaw born 14.02.2004
Jamie Edward Christopher born 15.09.2005

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 20:35:09 pm »
Mashing up tofu into pureed vegetables is a really easy way to introduce protein, although it is difficult to gat through a whole block before it needs to be thrown away. I am rubbish at cooking with tofu for dh and I.
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline Unicia

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 20:39:48 pm »
You can find some more vegetarian recipes at these websites:

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/refcap/546663.html

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/

Happy cooking!

Unicia
Mum to two beautiful little girls:
Keziah Leigh born 7 June 2005 at 4:32am (in NZ)
Micaiah Grace born 9 November 2007 at 1:20pm (in UK)

I'm a Kiwi *temporarily* living in the UK  :)

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 16:59:40 pm »
2 good books I found:

Sarah Lewis - Veggie Food for Kids (right from stage 1)
Nicola Graimes - can't remember the title!! something about Healthy Veggie food for toddlers (better from about 12 mos)

Also the Annabelle Karmel book has loads of veggie recipes in it, and as you lo gets older you can substitute quorn in the meat recipes too.

hth
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Shdef

• Showing Appreciation 419
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 00:03:40 am »
Babies are unable to get B12, zinc and iron out of anything but meat. You can feed a baby as much spinach as you want, it will just go right through and the goodness and the iron will not reach the place it should. I wouldn't go for the vegetarian diet at that age. Maybe later but not for babies. Studies have shown that vegatarian and vegan babies are statistically less developed and show more signs of malnutrion (especially vitamin B12, zinc and iron deficiancy than babies who were fed meat. Not even milk and cheese and cereals can make up for the goodness in chicken, red meat and fish.

Here a link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4282257.stm

I know that there are nutrition scientists who believe that a vegetarian diet is the best for babies but maths don't lie.
A mostly vegetarian diet is great, as long as it is enriched with some meat.

:P

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 14:49:39 pm »
zakfinbon -
Are you still eating milks, cheeses and eggs?

FYI, Scott's Maw -

B12 is found in cottage cheese, egg yolk, milk, yogurt, buttermilk and brewer's yeast with B12 (obviously) or make sure your lo's vitamins have it.

Iron- I have a TON of examples for iron.  Some examples: flaxseed, lentils, kidney beans, chick peas, tofu, avocado

Zinc - wheat germ, soybeans

*From Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Shdef

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 15:19:56 pm »
Oh I know that there IS iron and vitaminB12 and zink in these things, babies just don't get it out of vegetarian stuff. It just goes right through...

Offline jordon&dylansmom

• Showing Appreciation 63
  • Toronto, Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 15:58:28 pm »
I don't know what age your lo is, but if you are formula feeding then they are getting all of the necessary iron and vitamins from that.  I too am giving a vegetarian diet, although not for life.  I just feel that meat can be a lot of work to digest and I want to give him time to mature before I start offering it in his diet.  We are going to try fish next week though, as that is soft enough that he will be able to eat that with his hands. 

The super baby foods book is also a great one to give you options on how to give a balanced diet to your lo.

Good luck
Judy

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 16:00:49 pm »
Right, "spinach, beet greens and chard contain iron and also oxalic acid which interferes with iron absorption.  Greens that are sources of iron which don't have the oxalic acid problem are: kale, broccoli, colard, dandelion, mustard, and turnip greens, cabbage, and romaine lettuce."
Super Baby Food book.  One just has to find the "right" foods to eat so the vitamins and minerals don't go right through.

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Shdef

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 16:19:57 pm »
Well, of course my LO is only 6 months, he just had his first solids just a few days ago. He doesn't have meat yet but he will once he is older.

I should stay out of this thread because I get all funny when people want to feed their babies vegetarian diet just because they are vegetarian. Babies are too small to decide :(

Offline ella&jack'smum

• Showing Appreciation 54
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 17:08:54 pm »
I think we should try and leave the debate out of this one!!! Babies are too young to pretty much decide anything about how they are brought up, but I wouldn't criticise anyone's right to bring up their baby according to their religious or spiritual beliefs, and for me being a vegetarian is a belief.
Sue

Ella Rose 07/09/02
Jack Rowan 15/03/04
Stratford upon Avon, England

Offline Shdef

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 18:12:16 pm »
I'll keep out :)

Offline zakfinbon

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 21:34:07 pm »
I guess it's just each to their own when it comes to topics like this!  However, I would like to mention the fact that my best friend is a 4th generation vegetarian and him and his WHOLE family are in perfect health and are absolutely fine developmentally and have no problems at all.  So I don't really agree with anyone who says that we need to eat meat at any age. 

Anyway, thanks for the ideas i'll be trying them out.

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 11:16:18 am »
I have a recipe for a lentil dish that they can have after the first stage of weaning, also have pasta and rice recipes.

Give me a shout if you need them.
Lauren x

Offline dkjokisch

• Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 18:18:34 pm »
Dd loved pureed lentils and carrots.  Now that we're into finger food, I also make a mix of well-cooked ditalini pasta, cannellini beans, canned or fresh chopped tomatoes, and a little Italian seasoning.  You can puree it too.

Any kind of soft bean will be good pureed too.

As your ds gets older, you can feed her everything you eat (provided you eat reasonably healthy).  Dd is 14mos, and she has eaten whatever we have for dinner since about 12mos.  For the rare occasion when she can't have what we're having (like shrimp), I keep frozen leftovers of her favorite meals (one of which is the pasta and bean dish).
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:10:06 am »
Would anyone fancy 'debating' the pros and cons of an omnivorous/vegetarian/vegan diets both for adults and children on the debate page? If so I am happy to kick off with the case for vegetarianism.

Let me know. I am sure it can be informative and help aid understanding of all diets and why people choose them.

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 11:53:43 am »
Found somemore info about vegan & vegetarian diets;

Is a vegetarian diet suitable for young children?
As long as you ensure your baby is receiving a good balance of different food types, a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients your baby needs for growth and development. However, as with all children, it is important to make sure that it is a sensible and varied diet.

Which nutrients are particularly important for vegetarians?
Nutrient-rich foods like milk, cheese and eggs+ will help ensure the diet isn't too bulky but that your baby still gets plenty of calcium, zinc and vitamin A.

Iron is important but can be more difficult to obtain from a vegetarian diet as haem iron (which is the best absorbed) is found only in red meat. Ensure vegetarian sources of iron such as pulses, green vegetables and fortified breakfast cereal are given every day along with foods or drinks containing vitamin C to help your baby absorb the iron.

A follow-on milk which contains iron, like SMA Progress*ē is suitable for vegetarians, and can help to provide these important nutrients and vitamins your baby needs for healthy growth and development.

ē Applies to 900g, 450g cans and 6oz sachets   

What about vegan diets?
A vegan diet can make it very difficult for a young child to obtain all the nutrients they require to meet their needs. If you plan to bring your child up on a vegan diet, you should seek advice from a qualified dietitian. Your GP will be able to refer you.

Need more information?

The Vegetarian Society
Parkdale
Dunham Road
Altrincham
Cheshire
WA14 4QG
Tel: 0161 925 2000
Fax: 0161 926 9182
http://www.vegsoc.org

The Vegan Society
Donald Watson House