Author Topic: Any vegetarian ideas?  (Read 12232 times)

Offline dkjokisch

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 43
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 18:18:34 pm »
Dd loved pureed lentils and carrots.  Now that we're into finger food, I also make a mix of well-cooked ditalini pasta, cannellini beans, canned or fresh chopped tomatoes, and a little Italian seasoning.  You can puree it too.

Any kind of soft bean will be good pureed too.

As your ds gets older, you can feed her everything you eat (provided you eat reasonably healthy).  Dd is 14mos, and she has eaten whatever we have for dinner since about 12mos.  For the rare occasion when she can't have what we're having (like shrimp), I keep frozen leftovers of her favorite meals (one of which is the pasta and bean dish).
Deborah
#3 EDD 07/18/09
B 04/14/07 (ds)
M 01/13/05 (dd)

Offline squeaky's mum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 24
  • Sophie and Tom
Re: Any vegetarian ideas?
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2006, 08:10:06 am »
Would anyone fancy 'debating' the pros and cons of an omnivorous/vegetarian/vegan diets both for adults and children on the debate page? If so I am happy to kick off with the case for vegetarianism.

Let me know. I am sure it can be informative and help aid understanding of all diets and why people choose them.

Claire
Claire

Mum to Sophie (08/07/2005) and Tom (09/02/2008)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Any vegetarian ideas?
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2006, 11:53:43 am »
Found somemore info about vegan & vegetarian diets;

Is a vegetarian diet suitable for young children?
As long as you ensure your baby is receiving a good balance of different food types, a vegetarian diet can provide all the nutrients your baby needs for growth and development. However, as with all children, it is important to make sure that it is a sensible and varied diet.

Which nutrients are particularly important for vegetarians?
Nutrient-rich foods like milk, cheese and eggs+ will help ensure the diet isn't too bulky but that your baby still gets plenty of calcium, zinc and vitamin A.

Iron is important but can be more difficult to obtain from a vegetarian diet as haem iron (which is the best absorbed) is found only in red meat. Ensure vegetarian sources of iron such as pulses, green vegetables and fortified breakfast cereal are given every day along with foods or drinks containing vitamin C to help your baby absorb the iron.

A follow-on milk which contains iron, like SMA Progress*ē is suitable for vegetarians, and can help to provide these important nutrients and vitamins your baby needs for healthy growth and development.

ē Applies to 900g, 450g cans and 6oz sachets   

What about vegan diets?
A vegan diet can make it very difficult for a young child to obtain all the nutrients they require to meet their needs. If you plan to bring your child up on a vegan diet, you should seek advice from a qualified dietitian. Your GP will be able to refer you.

Need more information?

The Vegetarian Society
Parkdale
Dunham Road
Altrincham
Cheshire
WA14 4QG
Tel: 0161 925 2000
Fax: 0161 926 9182
http://www.vegsoc.org

The Vegan Society
Donald Watson House