Author Topic: No clockwatching, no set routine, baby as happy as never before...  (Read 1208 times)

Offline Shdef

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 419
Hello... I just have to start questioning everything I have read so far, because since we are in Scotland visiting my family, I haven't kept up with the times and the daily rhythm, paid not much attention to how long a nap was and so on.

The only thing that I do do the same is keep up with eat, then activity, then sleep and I stick to the night-time routine (toothbrush, book, bottle, song, bed). I don't pay attention to time at all and he is (apart from the occasional pain he has because he's got thrush) the happiest and most settled he has ever been.

He goes down well for every nap, sleeps through the night for 12 hours and is happy and content during the day almost all the time.

I thought babies like routine, maybe mine doesn't?

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: No clockwatching, no set routine, baby as happy as never before...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 23:38:03 pm »
It sounds to me like you still have a routine, but not a schedule. I see the two as very different things. I also tend to do more of a routine than a schedule, and it works best for all of us. If it isn't broken, don't fix it!  :)
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Roselyn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 00:35:07 am »
That's a great way of doing things!  Thank you for reminding everyone of this perspective of a routine rather than a schedule. 

I can see the value of both---
1)  a ROUTINE allows you to follow the natural flow of your baby's rhythms throughout the day without worrying about the clock
2) whereas a SCHEDULE allows you to have more predictability throughout the day which is helpful so you can plan your day and activities
Would you agree on this?   I think I sometimes get so caught up in fitting my lo to a schedule for MY needs rather than thinking about his needs.  I need to chill and just follow my baby!

Scott's Maw -- hold old is your baby?  what kind of EASY schedule were you following before you had this "enlightening" experience without the clock in Scotland?  :-)
How is your baby napping?

Glad to hear that you and baby doing well with your routine!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 03:31:41 am »
i'd say things are going great because you have stuck to the core of EASY (the structure to the day and the key bedtime routine) and because you and your family are on holiday you are probably able to watch his cues without being SO watchful IYKWIM and he is probably extra settled having you and all family around a lot = secure = content.  just a thought. 

EASY is supposed to be a routine anyway - clockwatching comes in as a necessity for those kids that NEED that (like spiriteds who don't show sleep cues etc and some babies who naturally prefer things on a schedule, most other babies vary their "routines" on a regular basis depending on how their health, appetite, mobility is and causes changes in their needs in terms of amounts of sleep and food. that is why some flexibility is best for everyone)

enjoy your family visit!
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified