Author Topic: 10 month old & train whistles at night  (Read 1547 times)

Offline JWB's Mom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
10 month old & train whistles at night
« on: March 21, 2006, 01:20:17 am »
I have a 10 month old spirited boy who has been on EASY since 6 weeks and does great with it. He eats and naps really well and has 7 teeth. At 7 months we had 3 ear infections in a row, so we were off schedule at night for a couple of months. Between the ear infections and 7 teeth coming in, it was difficult to get back on track. But we did for the most part - PU/PD worked great. He has his last bottle at 6:30pm and wakes up for the day around 5:15am. The problem is that he wakes at 4:15am because there's a train that comes through and blows its whistle. I don't know if it's a new train because I've never noticed it before - and we're really not that close to the train - 20 blocks. He cries out twice and stops for about 15-20 minutes, then he cries again and keeps crying. I only let him cry a couple of minutes and go in to him. He's usually sitting up in his crib. I pick him up for no more than 5 seconds to calm him and lay him back down. And he goes right back to sleep. My question is whether I should be picking him up or whether I should try to just lay him back down. And whether I should let him cry longer than just a couple of minutes. I can't tell if it's a mantra cry or not. I can't tell if the train whistle scares him and then he can't get settled or if it's separation anxiety or what. We have a humidifier in the room for some white noise too. The train doesn't wake us up but once I hear him cry and I wake up, I can hear the train too. I would appreciate any ideas or help!

Thank you!
Julie (Jack's Mom)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
Re: 10 month old & train whistles at night
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2006, 21:43:34 pm »
bump!
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Offline aidenmc

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2006, 22:55:38 pm »
Hi,

The only suggestion I can make is a louder source of white noise. I used a white noise machine with my first lo b/c he slept in the living room. Then when we built on some rooms we kept using it to drown out other household noises. I am using it with my 2nd lo now and I turn it up fairly high, depending on what noise i might expect. He is never bothered by it being too loud and from what I have read it was very noisy in the womb! The other good thing is that you can wean them off of it if you want by turning the volume down progressively.

I always find it very tough to resettle my son when he wakes an hour or so before his normal wake time so personally I would try to avoid the wake-up in the first place ;)
Becky,
Mom to Kieran (10/15/2000); Aiden, (7/ 8/ 2005); and Samuel (7/10/2010)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 04:18:41 am »
I have an almost 10month old & also gone through the teething & earinfection stage... incidently #2 child almost mirrors #1 with the link between teeth & ear infections (by chance were you a Strep B +ve Mum??? I have a threory about this)

Anyway we also have a 4/5am wakeup & I can't attribute it to a noise per se... but I think I have tuned out Big brother's sleep talking & I think that might be "our noise"
What I think it is, is the "light sleep phase" at that time & I have been "tweeking" the day routine to see if he is that much more tired to sleep past it.

So what is your day routine like?
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JWB's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 21:38:51 pm »
I am so sorry!!! My email filter at work was blocking my notifications for the website! I was wondering why no one was responding so I just went out and checked my post! We've had family in town for the last week, so I've been a mess too. Thank you all so much for your replies. Okay, first, I'm not a Strep B Mom. Our routine goes something like this: 5:30 wakeup and bottle, 7:00 breakfast, 8:15 nap (usually sleeps for 1.5-2 hours), 10:30 bottle, 12:00 lunch, 1:30 nap (usually sleeps 1.5 hours), 3:00 bottle, 5:00 dinner, 5:45 bath, 6:15 books, 6:30 bottle (he usually falls asleep while finishing his bottle). How would you suggest tweaking his day routine to help with the light sleep - I would LOVE to know! I will also check out the white noise machines with the adjustable volumes!

Thank you so much!!!

Julie (Jack's Mom)

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 22:42:09 pm »
Looking at his day routine, I think it is more a co-incidence about the train... in that he has long day naps, so by that early time he isn't really tired enough for the last deep sleep cycle & only does light sleep.... this is a problem I went through with my ds#1 and actually it fixed "perfectly" when he moved to 1 nap as he was more tired

At 10mo average day sleep is about 2.5 hours... about 1 hour am & 1.5 pm (or vice versa)

My suggestion would be to delay the first nap to at least 9am & limit it to 1 hour... this may mean he sleeps in later too, although it could be 1-3 weeks later before you see a real impact... early waking is a slow thing to fix

The other alternative is Wake to sleep... where you go in 1 hour before & stir him just enough to get him into a different sleep phase & hopefully not wake up when he used to... I've never done this, but I believe it takes 3+ days before you get results
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JWB's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 00:35:10 am »
Thank you so much! I will definitely try this tomorrow and see how we do over the next couple of weeks! I appreciate your help and advice!!!