Author Topic: Need help with routine - going from 3 naps to 2  (Read 1206 times)

Offline slammie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need help with routine - going from 3 naps to 2
« on: March 22, 2006, 06:04:39 am »
Hello Ladies =)

This is my first post and I'm really hoping for some advice! My spirited baby has finally starting sleeping through the night 3 or 4 times a week which is a god send considering the months of rocking, crying and 2/3 hour night wakenings.
I also had issues with his naps but now he's doing pretty well and faliing asleep completely on his own wide awake using a binkie for naps and at nightime most of the time.

I noticed that in the last couple of days, he has started screaming bloody murder when I put him down for his catnap which he has always taken till now. Plus, he's waking up at 6am..usually he wakes at 6:30...so what I've read here, it seems my DS needs to transition from 3 to 2 naps. I'm totally at a loss as to how to tweek his feed times though.  His A times are pretty long but he usually wakes up from his second nap at 2/2:15 and since the last couple of days he wouldn't go take his catnap, he's been awake for about 4.5 hours and really grumpy.

Right now, he takes his afternoon nap around 1 or 1:15. In order to get rid of his catnap, I'm thinking I need to put him down later so he's not up for so long until bedtime. However, I give him a bottle at three, so I don't know quite how to make his nap later and change his feed times. Here is his typical day:

Wake: 6:00 or 6:30 - he stays in his crib until about 10 minutes to 7
E: 7am - 7 oz. then 3 oz of solids at 8am
S: 9am..sometimes 9:30 depending on when he wakes (he usually needs 2.45 hours of morning A time, otherwise he takes a 45 minute nap
W: 10am - 10:15. He almost always naps for an hour to hour and 10 minutes
E: 11am - 7 oz. then 4 oz of solids at 12:30
S: 1pm (sometimes 1:15 if he sleeps a bit longer in am). His A time is 3 hours since am nap
W: 2pm/2:15pm. Almost always naps for hour and 10 minutes..sometimes 1.5 hours. Sometimes, he's grumpy after he wakes up.
E: 3pm - 8oz
S: 4:30 (usually 30 minutes)
E: 5:30 solids - 3oz
A: bath, eat 8oz at 6:30 then off to bed by 7pm

Okay, so I know I should push his pm nap to a little later so that he wakes up later. But what do I do with his 3pm feed? Do I feed him at 3:30 or 4am? If so, that's only about 2.5 to 3 hours before his bedtime bottle..isn't that too close?
He's drinking at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 6:30 with a dreamfeed at 10/10:30. How can I change his feeds so that he can sleep longer or take a later pm nap so that the time between his pm nap and bedtime isn't too long? Also, when do you know to reduce the number of daytimes liquid feeds from 4 to 3? Geez, I hope I'm making sense here. Thanks so much for your help!!

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
Re: Need help with routine - going from 3 naps to 2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 08:49:03 am »
Hi Slammie,

Welcome to BW. I have been very sucessful in transitioning from 3-2naps, my DD did it at 5 months but at the same time she dropped a bottle. Sounds like you might be ready for the transition.Anyway feeding at 3.30pm is fine does he always take all his bottles?
Anyway you could do something like this:

Wake: 6:00 or 6:30 - he stays in his crib until about 10 minutes to 7
E: 7am - 7 oz. then 3 oz of solids at 8am
S: 9:30 depending on when he wakes
W:10.45am
E: 11am - 7 oz. then 4 oz of solids at 12:30
S: 2pm  1.5hrs??
W: 3.30pm
E: 3.30pm - 8oz
E: 5:30 solids - 3oz
A: bath, eat 8oz at 6:30 then off to bed by 7pm

This is how my day looks like except she has a bottle at 1pm instead of one at 11&3.
I hope this is helpful, don't hesitate if you have any more questions.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 22:06:48 pm »
Slammie, how old is your lo?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline slammie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 22:31:10 pm »
Thanks Natasha! Wow, sounds like your DD dropped that bottle really early. DS does tend to finish most bottles...he's bit of a porker at 19.5 lbs at 6months. Thanks so much for the tip, I'll try your suggestions..although I haven't had much luck getting him to nap beyond that 1.15 hour. In fact, I don't think he sleeps all that much..on average 2.5 hrs during the day and 11 hours at night. Is that enough? Also, do you think he's getting enough solids? He loves them even though he's teething but I'm afraid to give him more because he hasn't completely finished his 7am and 11am bottles.

Heather, DS is 6 months.  sorry I forgot to include that.  Thanks again!

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 22:46:29 pm »
He sounds like he is having a good balance of solids and milk you are doing great.
As for sleep at this age they recommend approx 14hrs of sleep in a day so you are spot on their as well.
Good luck and keep us posted  :)

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07