Author Topic: my son is a big eater but, still won't sleep..  (Read 901 times)

Offline sleeplessinseattle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
my son is a big eater but, still won't sleep..
« on: March 22, 2006, 14:51:53 pm »
I didn't know if the was a feeding or eating question...I think eating.  My question is regarding:  a middle of the night feed, sleeping through the night, introducing solids, extending the 3 hour EASY etc..

My 13 week old son is a BIG eater.  He has done as much as 35oz. in a day but is usually around 33.  He is on 3 hour EASY and I'm getting a little frustrated.  He's good on 3 hour easy and I was thinking we should be working toward the 4 hour easy but, haven't figured out how..since he wants to eat at least every 3 hours (a little modified - he usually eats, plays, sleeps, PLAYS, eats..as his naps are not very long- usually 45 min).  We have modified his easy a bit at times because we'd like him to go down around 8:30ish...and up at 6:30 or seven.  We cluster feed at night - 6 or 6:30 depending on what time the day started, bath at 7:45ish  - another 2 oz. at 8:15/30ish....then bed for the night - 10:30 or 11 p.m. dream feed.  He eats 5 oz. at a feed and at times looks like he could eat more (with exception of the 8 p.m. cluster feed of 2 oz).  We have been working on trying to get him through the night - first - is this realistic at his age?  Seems like we should be able to get through the night with the amount of food he eats. 

So -we were trying to reduce the one middle of the night feed (wakes around 3 or 4) to 2 or 3 oz...which seemed to be working for a few days..but, now he will not eat his first morning 5oz.  Which doesn't make sense to me..shouldn't he be hungry first thing with a smaller middle of the night feed??  AND - the past 2 days has decided to get himself, mom and dad up at 5:30...yesterday to play with dad before his biz trip...today he was hungry..So I fed him a full 5oz..hoping to start off big again to encourage a 'sleep through the night' scenario.

HELP...should I be feeding him 5 oz. at he 3 or 4 am...hoping he'll sleep a little longer - and wait to wean the middle of the night feed?  Should I be trying to introduce solids since he eats so much already??  Should I be feeding him 6oz at a crack every 3 hours??  OR???  Mom and dad both work and need our sleep...decided this is a young persons game!! LOL

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: my son is a big eater but, still won't sleep..
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 15:19:54 pm »
He's good on 3 hour easy and I was thinking we should be working toward the 4 hour easy but, haven't figured out how..since he wants to eat at least every 3 hours (a little modified - he usually eats, plays, sleeps, PLAYS, eats..as his naps are not very long- usually 45 min). 

We have been working on trying to get him through the night - first - is this realistic at his age?  Seems like we should be able to get through the night with the amount of food he eats. 

So -we were trying to reduce the one middle of the night feed (wakes around 3 or 4) to 2 or 3 oz...which seemed to be working for a few days..but, now he will not eat his first morning 5oz.  Which doesn't make sense to me..shouldn't he be hungry first thing with a smaller middle of the night feed??  AND - the past 2 days has decided to get himself, mom and dad up at 5:30...yesterday to play with dad before his biz trip...today he was hungry..So I fed him a full 5oz..hoping to start off big again to encourage a 'sleep through the night' scenario.

HELP...should I be feeding him 5 oz. at he 3 or 4 am...hoping he'll sleep a little longer - and wait to wean the middle of the night feed?  Should I be trying to introduce solids since he eats so much already??  Should I be feeding him 6oz at a crack every 3 hours??  OR???  Mom and dad both work and need our sleep...decided this is a young persons game!! LOL
Quote (selected)

To be honest my DS had just dropped his 2am feed and was still waking at 5am for a feed (3oz) at this stage. He only started sleeping through last month. I can't say it was anything I did, he naturally did it himself.

The 5am waking is something you will see a lot of on these boards, DS is also going through a stage of this, so I can totally sympathise. The only thing I can suggest is that you determine if he is just fussing or crying out for help. (possibly still hungry)

I used to only give DS 3oz at each night feed any more would upset his tum and wake him.

How many bottles do you currently give and how much in each?
Lauren x

Offline sleeplessinseattle

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 15:40:50 pm »
thank you for the 3-4hour EASY schedule. I think its a bit early as I look at this...his naps are only 45 min. usually...with a VERY random 1 1/2 or 2 hour nap.  So ...looks like we may need to wait.  He has 8 bottles a day...general times are at 6 a.m. 9, noon, 3, 6, 8, 11 and 3/4 a.m..  Generally - all of them are 5 oz. bottles with the exception of the 8 p.m. 'cluster feed' of 2 oz...and the 3/4a.m. of 3 oz....and lately his 6 a.m. (until this morning) has been 3.5oz or so..

should i be moving to 6 oz. bottles to try to 'stretch' him??  wondering if this may help move toward a 4 hour easy..and 'stretch' him in the middle of the night!?!?

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 07:34:27 am »
you might want to post n the sleeps/nap forum about how to extend his 45 min naps  ???
Lauren x