Author Topic: Battles at bedtime  (Read 678 times)

Offline MommyofAlexis

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://alexis.bchotrods.ca
Battles at bedtime
« on: March 23, 2006, 05:16:57 am »
Alexis is now 25 months old and we battle her to bed every night.  She has now resorted to taking her pajamas off, which wasn't bad in the beginning, to now taking her diaper off to and saying screaming until she gets a clean one.  It can be a battle for up to 90 minutes a night sometimes.  We are not sure which direction to go. 
Our routine is:

6:15-7am wake (depending our on work schedule)
at daycare by 8:30am
12pm lunch
1:00 - 2:45pm nap - sometimes less but always awake by 2:45pm
6pm dinner
645- 7:15pm brush teeth, read books, sing songs
7:30 - 7:45pm bed.

She is tired but 8pm, we are still at this moment trying to get her to bed and it is 9:15pm.  She is rubbing her eyes and yawning but she wont settle down.

Not sure what to do.  Looking for suggestions.

Dale
Mom to Alexis 02/15/04

Offline ozswiss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Battles at bedtime
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 00:03:17 am »
Hi
My daughter has just started battling at bedtime too - but she is only 12 months old. Before this she has been good at going to bed - since she was about 3 months old - besides a few exception of course.

Is this 'normal' for your daughter or a new thing? When did things change? What else has changed?

I thought my DDs changes had come out of the blue but I recently realised that I had changed a few things - like bread instead of rice, and carrot in her veggies. I've just eliminated them to see how it goes. She's been having night wakings too and last night didn't wake - so maybe it is food related for my DD?

I'm not saying it is something like that for your DD - but have a think and see if you can work out when the change happened.

I guess as far as the bedtime battles go you just need to be consistent and patient. I would just go in to her, put her clothes back on, not say a thing except it is time for bed, you need to wear your pjs to bed, lets get ready for bed because I can see you are tired.

Maybe some praise and positive reinforcement for the good times. If she has a nap and settles ok - maybe she could get a smiley face on her wall. At night when she is battling she can get a sad face? I've got friends with older kids who've had success with strategies like that.

What has daycare said? Can they see a reason for it? Have they changed afternoon activities so they are more stimulating?

Sorry I'm probably not much help. But hang in there, hopefully somebody else will have some other suggestions.

(hugs)
Jo