Author Topic: Not enough info. for going beyond 4hr EASY  (Read 5643 times)

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Not enough info. for going beyond 4hr EASY
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »
Gage'smom
what does your new routine look  like? Ours has also changed again since I last posted on this thread and has definatley dropped the catnap.

lauren
Lauren x

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 14:42:20 pm »
Great point about the solids.  It does help break up the A time and give an extra boost of energy to stay awake longer.  All I can remember at 6 mos was that dd was on this schedule:
wake 8 am
nap 10-12
nap 2-4
bed 7:30-8 pm
So 4 hrs of day sleep is not necessarily too much.  I'm so happy Gage had a good second nap the other day, maybe things will start turning around for you.  You're doing absolutely fine!
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 17:23:01 pm »
Hi Heather! Thanks so much for helping me. Gage is on solids and we do have them about an hour after the bottle, and we have never really stuck to the dream feed. I think he just wakes because of too much sleep, so that is why I started to increase A time. I just panicked a little because we were never on a 3hr easy as far as A time and s time, and as a result he was up ALL night. I just didnt want that to happen again. I put him down after 2hrs this morning and so far good as gold! I think I will just go back to our old set up and follow him for the flexibility piece. Since he istill has a catnap most days, should I limit his naps to 1.5 hrs?

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 18:30:41 pm »
Gage's Mom, I'd love to know your real name  ;D.  Anyway, let him nap as he wants to, then watch him for how sleepy his is around catnap time.  Then, according to what time it is in relation to bedtime, try to judge about how much sleep might get him through until bedtime. 
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 21:18:36 pm »
Hi Alice

I've been wondering recently how you're getting on - remember those dark and tearful days when every nap was a 45 minute nap, at least we're doing a little better now!

I'm still trying to find a routine that suits Zander in terms of getting 2 good naps.  This is what we're aiming for;

Wake and BF 7am
Solids 8.30am
Nap 9.30am to 11am
BF 11.30am
Solids 1pm
Nap 2pm to 3.30pm
BF 3.30pm
Solids 5pm
BF 6.30pm
Bed 7pm

He seems to be happy to take a 1.5 hour nap in the morning (I was interested to hear about putting them back down after only 1.5 hours - sounds good but I don't think I'll risk losing this good nap at the moment!).  We're still generally getting a 45 minute pm nap though but somehow he's happy to go through until bedtime without a catnap or he just catches 10 minutes if we're out in the car.  The solids do break it up a little and I guess they give him some more energy too.

It would be good to hear back how you're getting on and perhaps we can yet again find solutions to our nap problems!

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2006, 05:23:13 am »
Hi Zandersmummy! It is so nice to hear from you again. I was wondering how you and Zander have been doing. Gosh I know I am glad that things are better than before. Sometimes, when I am feeling low I look back at my earlier posts and feel better.

Right now our issues are early wakenings (from 7 to 6am) and 1 middle of night wakening (just started again). Calum's mom how did you know it was time to ditch the catnap and how and when did you do this?

Here is todays routine. We have finally made it the 4hr EASY.   

6:30 wake and play (or should I say grunt and yodle) in crib
7:00 eat 7oz
8:00 solids (hardly any as I think he is teething. He didnt want anything in his all day and VERY whiny)
8:30 sleep with ease :D

10:30 woke him
11:00 Eat 60z
12:00 solids (no food today)
12:30 sleep ( Very grumpy)

2:00 wake
3:00 eat 7oz
4:00 catnap (really needed it)

4:30 wake
5:30 6oz
6:00 solids
Bedtime routine 6oz
7pm sleep

He has been waking between 2-3am because he is unswaddled and/or stuck in the bars (any suggestions for this?).

Ladies what is the total number of daytime hours does you lo sleep?

Thanks. Oh, my name is Alice. Kind of old fashion I know, but I am just turning 30 honest. My pic is in the lounge forum I think. 

Offline LŠuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2006, 06:18:45 am »
Alice - Calums naps are about approx 3hrs now, give or take 30mins on good/bad days.

CAlum was up at 0630 today, so much for daylight savings help me! Not to worry it will be 0630 for me from Monday anyway.

I also used to swaddle Calum until Kelly (Zandersmummy) came up with another suggestion. I now put him in a grobag and swaddle his arms only. There are some naps where I let his left hand out, depending on his mood. He was breakingout his swaddle at all time during the night and I had to reswaddle, until now.  ;D

Alice is a lovely name  ;)
Lauren x

Offline KellyC

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2006, 13:45:04 pm »
Alice

So pleased things are working out for you, we get there in the end and then something else needs 'fixing'!!

Interestingly we had to go out this morning and Zander woke at 7.30am but I put him down for his nap early at 9am (only 1.5 hours A time instead of 2.5 hours) and he took his usual 1.5 hour nap.  We got back home (I managed to keep him awake when he started nodding off in the car 5 minutes from home!) and he was in his bed after another 2hrs 50 mins and has so far been asleep for 1.25 hours!  I'm going to have to read this post back again to understand what was said about going down early for the am nap.  My only concern is that I read it can cause early wakings or night wakings as they see the am nap as an extension of their night time sleep.  We have a 2 year old's birthday part to go to this afternoon so I'm pleased he'll be refreshed enough to cope with all those noisy toddlers!

Kelly x

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Showing Appreciation 865
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2006, 18:49:10 pm »
Wow, glad I stumbled across this thread.  We are just getting to a 4 hour EASY now (we have been 4 hours between feedings for 2 months, but the awake time has been short).  Naps are improving now that she's staying awake longer.  I think that solid food feeding does break it up and make her last longer.  (Actually the second awake time is interupted by a bf, which will become her third solids this weekend) I think she's quickly going to move beyond the 2 hours of awake time.

We're having the swaddle issue, but it has been happening around 4 or 5am and only once.  We're probably going cold turkey on the swaddle in 2 weeks, when my husband is home for a week for his spring break.  I'm not looking forward to all the changes that will bring.

Thanks for the advice on this thread   :)

~Rachel

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2006, 01:03:41 am »
I have tried unswaddling Gage and he fell asleep fine, but went back to 45 min naps. How do you just swaddle the arms? He doesnt like his arms to his waist, so we have been using the Aussie swaddle. Boy, I am sure gettiing tired of swaddling and reswaddling. To get him away from the bars I rolled up hand towels and put them under the sheet. They act as speed bumps and he didnt get close enough to them last night. That being said he woke 2x and whimpered all night. I think he is teething ???

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2006, 01:22:36 am »
I also went cold turkey on the swaddle and it was fine.  Then we started using a sleep sack and used it until she learned to sit up on her own and began rolling around in the crib alot.  As for the bars of the crib, we have a bumper.  If you are concerned about baby being against a bumper, they make a kind that is like netting for ventilation.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline KellyC

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2006, 22:06:45 pm »
We chose a time when Zander was sleeping badly anyway and went cold turkey with the swaddle (though he's had one arm out for a few weeks).  I figured it couldn't get any worse and I never used it again!

Kelly x

Offline courtneyandmiles

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2006, 19:45:04 pm »
Gage's mum,

My daughter is 6.5 mos., and I , too am having an "off" few days.  Seems to be since "springing" forward w/ the time.  I notice that I don't write in my journal when she does well, but I record EVERYTHING when she's "off".

I've been confused since she's started solids, missing the 4 bf a day of the 4 hr. EASY.  Now I'm confused about how to mix in solids, I feel unsure of whether she's sleepy or not, and she's needing help to fall asleep; she didn't before.

I notice that since she's been born, I have times where I'm totally confident and times where I'm freaking and addicted to this site!  (like now).

I find it most helpful to record everything, consult Tracy's SOLVES ALL YOUR PROBS book and whine on this site.  I find that it all sorts out within a few days, after a thorough freakout!

-court

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2006, 21:54:39 pm »
Hi there Courtney! Babies are so dang complex arent they? Everything is an exact science which is fascinating but frustrating at the same time. I often feel like I am trying to solve a rubric cube. This site is a complete life saver! I too am obsessed. I will never look at a baby the same way. Every time I see one I wonder what their routine is and if their parent has figured it out. I just dont know how non baby whisperes get on.... seriously. I know so much more than I had ever dreamed ( and have SO MUCH more to learn). I should have done my Master's thesis on the days and nights of babies.  ::)

Anyway, this is a crazy stage for babies. I feed Gage his last bottle early because he will miss it if I dont. If you post your routine I can try to help. I write down EVERYTHING good and bad, and I look for patterns of both types. Gage will see it someday and think I was obsessed..... and I am..... but it is out of love.  ;)

Offline KellyC

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2006, 09:01:42 am »
Hi Alice

I know what you mean about wondering how non-baby whisperers cope.  Yesterday I met a very relaxed and happy 15 week old who doesn't take ANY naps during the day - what's that all about?!!

How are your naps going now?  I still rarely get 2 good naps a day, though he usually takes 1.5 hours in the morning he gets by on 45 minutes until bedtime and usually starts crying sometime around bath time  :'(  What's your routine now?

Kelly x