Author Topic: Weaning to Formula  (Read 966 times)

Offline banillymom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 23, 2006, 15:07:29 pm »
Hello!

I am new to this board and looking for some advice. DD is 9 months old. Since 3 months we have been dealing with food allergy issues. I am BFing and Since 5 months I have been on super restricted diet and have had almost zero success in adding things into my diet or DD's diet. We had appointment with Ped GI Dr. yesterday (we have been seeing him since December). Up until this point DD's weight gain, etc has been fine. This time she is falling way behind and DR is concerned. She is far behind in her # of foods she is exposed to directly and only getting further behind because we have to worry both with what Mommy is eating and what DD is eating. ANYWAY, Dr wants us to try to wean to Elecare (Hypoallergenic formula). It is awful stuff! I am looking for advice on how to make this transition. Anyone out there who has done this before?The DRs suggestion is to expose her to it about 15 to 20 times and then go cold turkey. To be honest, I'm pretty scared about that! The poor little thing! I have mixed her cereal with some yesterday-- She took it OK-- I gave her a little in a cup again today. She took some, but obviously wasn't thrilled about it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Weaning to Formula
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 17:44:12 pm »
When I changed DD's formula, I did one ounce of the new stuff, the rest old stuff.  The next day, two ounces, and so on.  Much easier than when I tried cold turkey.  Hope your babe gets better!!
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: Weaning to Formula
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 18:24:44 pm »
I understand that Elecare recently came out with a Vanilla flavored version - did you try this? Might DD like it better?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01