Author Topic: 12mo - and what now? re. milk.  (Read 1061 times)

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« on: March 24, 2006, 09:52:45 am »
i need some reassurance and guidance. 

lo is 12mo.  he eats three meals a day plus two snacks, and gets three 7oz sippies of milk every day after his meals as well.  i sort of feel clueless about what to do next. 

my successes: right now i am working on moving the sippies closer to the meals so that they become a part of them instead of an event afterwards, do you know what i mean?  we are also in the process of transitioning from formula to whole milk.  i am trying to make his food chunkier and more finger-foodish.. 

my 'could-be-betters': i don't know very much about dropping bottles - does this mean that he should be drinking less milk and eating more food?  and how do i encourage him to eat more solids when my babe loves his milk so much? 

Offline Sylvia.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 232
Re: 12mo - and what now? re. milk.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:22:35 am »
here in australia they recommend 600ml of calcium, we do 500mls of milk a day, plus milk in cereal if we do it that day, with cheese and yogurt as well, i feel this is the right amount, when i went from bf to cows milk, we only did 250mls of milk a day at first, she just would not drink milk after some time i just started adding 250mls in the afternoon as a snack and we have done that ever since, i must admit that we do not do milk with food, i do milk 30-60 minutes after breakfast and lunch 30 minutes before nap and milk 30/60 minutes after nap, it funny that you should ask this question today as i gave her approx. 50mls straight after lunch, i am also clueless and only did what worked for us, i would love to here what others do

Offline zelda

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 12:37:26 pm »
see, the whole reason why i am posting is because my lo has his one-year ped appt. yesterday.  i asked how much milk and calcium lo should be getting, and doc said that 2 bottles (i assume he meant 7-8oz bottles here) plus yoghurt and cheese would be satisfactory.  i told him lo got 500-600ml milk every day and he seemed to feel that was too much, so i am really confused as i thought that 550ml milk was about right, but perhaps that is total calcium and not total milk.  at any rate, lo loves yoghurt and cheese so i feel that we would be doing ok on the calcium front even if he drank less out of sippies.

is milk 3x/day too much?