Author Topic: Cold Turkey on Midnight Milk DOES Work!!!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Samuel's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Cold Turkey on Midnight Milk DOES Work!!!
« on: March 24, 2006, 20:58:31 pm »
Hi all,
We post so many problems and issues we are all having, so I wanted to post a success story.  Maybe it will help one of you.  Samuel is 20 months and I have been up pretty much at least once a night since he was born.  He has maybe slept through the night a handful of times ever.  The past 6 months he has always usually (outside of teething/colds/ect) has woken up between 11 and 2 am to have milk.  It was the only thing that would settle him back to sleep.  My dh always felt it was hunger ('he's growing') and I always felt it was habit.  But the thought of sleepless nights (I work full time) verses getting up once for 10 min to feed him - the 10 min feed always seemed better.  And I have been through these message boards often looking for miracle solutions, but not really taking the time and determination to do the cold turkey method and be consistent.

So, reading a post early last week I got motivated - knowing that I had a string of vacation days that I was taking so lack of sleep would not be as bad.  So, I started a week ago.  For background, Samuel has always been awesome going to sleep independently at night, naps we have worked long and hard on since birth - now is quite good at 1 2/2 or 2 hrs.

Night 1  : woke up for milk at 12:30.  He kept saying milk and down (meaning downstairs - out of his room) and I kept saying it was night night time and that milk was all gone.  We were up for 1/2 hr when he finally went to sleep.  I tried to pu/pd, but he got really upset so I ended up rocking him.  Woke up 1/2 hr later and was up for 45 min doing the same thing. Stayed alseep rest of night
Night 2 : woke up at 1 am.  Never asked for milk (and hasn't since), asked to go downstairs.  Picked him up to settle, as soon as his head would start to settle on my shoulder, I put him back down.  Did this for 15 min.  Slept for the rest of the night
Night 3 : woke up at 12:30.  Settle back down in 5 min
Night 4 : SLEPT THROUGH!!! ;D

So I realized it was more he didn't know how to settle himself back to sleep rather than wanting milk.  People told me this many times, I didn't listen.  He still is waking often at that time, sometimes settles himself and sometimes I have to go in.  I read in another post that deep sleep cycle is for 3 hours, then the rest of the night is light/dream sleep - which definitely fits his pattern.  He wakes up from deep sleep and needed help to settle.  I have also realized he is a big dreamer and that often wakes him up too.  I am just happy to not have to expect being awake every single night.  YAY.  Plus, my dh didn't buy into this plan so I did it myself and lo and behold it worked.  He owes me big!!

I hope this helps some of you.  If you have any questions, feel free to post back.  Part of me thinks his age and good communication skills helped - I can ask him what he wants and he understands milk is all gone whereas a few months ago I think he would have just kept asking.  Who knows.  I just love the feeling in the morning and realizing "HE SLEPT THROUGH".  I hope you all can get this feeling too!!

Nicole
Nicole
Mom to Samuel born July 27, 2004
 and to Julianna born Dec 26, 2006

Offline rach

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 322
Re: Cold Turkey on Midnight Milk DOES Work!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 21:04:42 pm »
Hi Nicole

Thanks for posting about your success, i'm so pleased to hear that things are going well.

Please keep us up-to-date with how things go. 

Love Rachel xx
Rach xx

Offline Mommy Moo

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • Canada
Re: Cold Turkey on Midnight Milk DOES Work!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 21:27:31 pm »
It's great to hear a success story.  My DS is also 21 months old and would still wake at night asking for milk too.  Like your DS, he has only slept thru a handful of times. Lately we have been holding back on the milk and last night he slept through without a peep!!!!!!!!! This is really a BIG DEAL!!!!!!!!  So I think you're right, I just need to bite the bullet and don't give any more milk after bedtime.

Good for you for going through with it. I think that giving milk during the night is more of my crutch than it is his, KWIM?

GOOD JOB!!!!
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80