Author Topic: Potty issues at naptime  (Read 896 times)

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Potty issues at naptime
« on: March 24, 2006, 21:43:05 pm »
Karina is pretty much potty trained and just wearing diapers for naps and nighttime. The problem is she often plays in her crib at naptime, and now she's gotten into taken off all her clothes and diaper. Then she yells that she has to go potty, so I have to go in and take her to the potty, put her diaper, clothes and sleep sac back on, and then this continues for as long as I'm willing to play. She does actually have to go potty so I can't really ignore her, but I also see it as a stalling technique. Completely frustrating!

Also, Karina has completely stopped napping for me this week, just plays in her crib for an hour and a half or 2, and I'm so tempted to go in and rock her or put my hand on her back til she drifts off (I've helped her 2 or 3 times in the last 2 weeks) - it completely goes against my beliefs about getting to sleep on your own, but I know she's exhausted and needs the sleep. I know she doesn't need to drop naps yet, so I guess I just let her have her quiet time in there on her own with as little intervention as possible and hope she gets herself off to sleep one of these days. I don't know what else to do to help her get to her zone (she sleeps fine when dh puts her down, so I know it's partly that I am too high strung and can't relax her enough!)
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 12:00:04 pm »
Carm is doing the same with naps.  I started going in 45 mins after I put her down and put my hand on her back to get her to sleep.  She's up at least 6 times at night and sometimes for 20 mins or more so she NEEDS a nap and at this point, I'll do anything to get her to get at least an hour of sleep.  It really sucks, but so far I don't feel it's interfering with the way she goes to bed (it takes an hour no matter what).  OUr sleep issues are out of control :(

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
Re: Potty issues at naptime
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 21:17:43 pm »
Jackie, you always end up making me feel better because you have it so much worse  >:(
I'm sorry ~ Thank goodness we only have the nap thing (for now). Not that it doesn't drive me bananas at times, but I can't imagine waking all night long like Carmela does! It's such a mystery to me, because it seems like Carmela really knows how to go to sleep on her own, so it's not like she can't put herself to sleep. But it does seem like sometimes she just makes herself get fully awake instead of going to the next sleep cycle. I don't know.

I'm having "nap boot camp" week. Both for myself and Karina. My husband thinks part of the problem may be my crazy schedule (I'll often give Karina lunch in the stroller, or on the go, run home and put her down, etc.). So I'm making myself be home every day at noon, give her lunch, run to get my son, back home for naptime. I'm adding 2 books to our routine, so it's 2 books, sippy cup of milk, cuddle for 2-5 minutes depending on level of relaxation then down. Once she's down I'm not intervening at all except for potty needs. Last week I helped her to sleep a few times, and I think that just aggravates it because then she expects my further intervention.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001